Premed 101 Forums

need some advice

Guest gk

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on the University of Saskatchewan. This is my situation -

I'm a grade 12 student in Calgary. I'm pretty sure I want to leave town to do my undergrad...mainly b'coz I know I'm not going to get any real serious studying done if I stay at home. Plus... I want new experiences as well...living on campus and away from home.

I was looking up some info on the UofSask med. school site, and what surprised me was that out of 50 spots for in-province people...they only had 75 applicants. I e-mailed them to make sure it wasn't a typo either. I checked the official req's to be counted as an in-province applicant, and all it said was that you needed to have lived there for 3 years, and have a sask. driver's licence and healthcare. I think I'm willing to go do my undergrad there if I can get in - coz the chances are much better than other places. Hehe... is this starting to look like Pre-Med Syndrome to you? Do I sound desperate to get in at any cost??

Anyways, do u know why there would be so few applicants from within Saskatchewan? Does it have a bad reputation or some weird pre-requisite (that other med schools don't have) to get in??

Or...would it just be safer/better to do my undergrad @ UofA in edmonton.

Hope you don't mind answering all these questions!

Thanks,

-george-

if i remember correctly, this was the first or second year that they required the mcat. because of that, the number of applicants nose-dived and made it easier for those who had mcats... i may be wrong...

tones

Guest strider2004

I know some people who are studying in USask. The main reason for the lack of applicants is probably because people would rather be in a larger city. There are some interesting reasons for choosing to do your undergrad in a small town. Besides having regional preference in that school, you also have an opportunity to rise about your other classmates, something that's harder to do in a place like UofT. My advice is to pick an undergrad school that has a regional preference, maybe USask because it won't hurt you in school that DON'T have a regional preference.

Just remember that it's not just about increasing your odds of getting into med school. University is a time to explore your surroundings and mature. I'm a very different person now than I was 5 years ago. Pick a place where you want to mature.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

I deliberately held off on replying to your e-mail because I wanted the other moderators to browse over your post, and perhaps chip in their two cents.

Like Strider2004, I've got to emphasize that picking your university should be more than just maximising your chances of getting into med school.

University really is a time to grow and develop as a person, and you need to find a university that excels in the programs that you are interested in studying. Each university has different strengths and weaknesses in its programs. For example (and I'm reaching a little here), it would be a shame to go to USask if you thought that studying something like marine biology or forestry would be really cool, because you could then have gone to UVic or UBC respectively, and gotten a strong education there instead. I don't think there's a lot of marine biology or forestry going on in Sask these days... On the other hand, if studying about biotechnology interests you, particularly in an agricultural setting, then Sask is a hotbed of such research.

Perhaps more importantly, there really isn't any guarantee that you will want to attend medical school in four years time. Out of all of my high school friends, many of whom wanted to go to med school, there are only two of us from our grad class that are currently studying med school. Three of my good friends who had planned on going into med school are now studying dentistry, teaching, and business. Another two have opted for law and computer science.

As a result, if the only reason you would go to USask is to maximise your chances of getting into a med school, and not for its academic and educational programs, I think you should really take a long hard look at whether you will consider yourself to be happy to have attended USask for four years if you *didn't* end up going to med school.

Therefore, my advice is to investigate some of the other universities and the cities they are located in, and find out what their strengths and weaknesses are. The cold weather in Saskatoon is enough to deter me from ever wanting to study there! :) (It's 18 degrees and sunny here in Vancouver at the moment...)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest sazzafrazz

Hey Ian,

Just a couple of comments re the big bad COLD.

Along with the cold comes the snow, which is awesome. You can go snowboarding, skiing (cross country (lots here which is an excellent cardio workout) and downhill), ice skating outside at midnight - also awesome under the stars, sleigh rides at Christmas, snowball fights, skidooing, and it even offers a sort of hibernation from the busy summer lifestyle which is great for hitting the books when school starts. Besides, how can you ever enjoy a real cup of hot chocolate without first being outside freezing your "yichees" off. I'm certainly not offended by your weather "joke" but I think your missing out on some great stuff over there in the rain.

I love winter time and I love the smell of the arctic air. Do you know that smell? Cool, crisp, clean, fresh, completely non-smogged air. It's totally invigorating. I highly recommend it.

saz

Guest Ian Wong

But it's <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> COLD!<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Right now it's again about 18 degrees outside, and I'm going to the beach. After that, I'm going to the driving range to hit some golf balls. 8)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

PS: Skiing and skating are good, but that's why God invented Whistler/Blackcomb, and indoor ice rinks!

Guest strider2004

If you want cold, go to Calgary. You get the prairie activites(sleighrides, x-country skiing) plus some really nice mountains. As for Ian's definition of cold, well he's a wuss. :)

Guest sazzafrazz

Com' on Ian,

Let's face it. We both know the only place your going is back to the emergency room. You don't have time for beeches and golf. (that sounds more like a dessert than an activity!)

Your experiences in the emergency room on your first day sounded awesome. I'm really interested in Emergency Medicine. How has emergency been going since?

Oh Yeah...

Haven't you ever heard of snow golf, little orange ball. It's kind of a similar concept to Snow-pitch (softball in the winter). It can be a little difficult finding your ball but lots of fun when mixed with alcohol.

Calgary's OK! The mountains would be great but the City of Calgary always seems so industrial whenever I've been there. It's all concrete, no trees.

But of course they do get the Chinooks. Every once in a while a Chinook makes it all the way to Winnipeg, very nice in January.

Where did Ian post his experiences in the emergency room? I'd like to hear about them too! (They've gotta be way more interesting than the ones I had as a volunteer...) :)

Guest BCgirl

I'd also like to hear about Ian's time in the ER.

And, I agree with Ian on the cold thing. I grew up on Vancouver Island... I would way rather have the rain than the cold. Nova Scotia is too cold for me :) Last winter, it snowed on Christmas Day and we had snow on the ground for over 3 months :( I only hope this winter is better. But I guess that's not too bad compared to other places in the country... I'm just not built for the cold :)

Guest Ian Wong

Wuss? Just because I choose to live within a civilized temperature range that doesn't require dealing with snowshoes, roadside slush, and golf-ball sized hailstones... :)

As far as Calgary goes, I really like the city, although downtown really is an industrial wasteland. If they had accepted me before I'd replied to UBC, my decision not to go there would have been a lot more difficult because I had a great time interviewing there, which I couldn't say the same about UBC.

At Calgary, they welcomed you, showed you an Orientation video and had students give you tours through the teaching facilities and BACS center, and generally treated you as if you'd already been accepted. At UBC, they called me up, told me I had interviews at separate locations in Vancouver, provided me with minimal directions on finding those doctors' offices, and left me with the impression that UBC itself was massively disorganized.

I'm happy to say that the admissions process has been much friendlier in the past two years, due in large part to initiatives taken on by the second year classes to try to welcome incoming students. I'm glad to have had a part in that.

As far as the Emerg war stories go, I don't think it's appropriate that I post them here. I didn't mind sharing some of these experiences with other med students, because then there is an element of cooperative education, but I feel that otherwise posting these stories in a public area isn't for the best.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 3 months later...

hey,

im Andrew , in grade 10, and im wondering what courses you need to take in gr 11 and 12 to get into UBC, for either medicine or dental? cause ive been all over their sites and i have no idea what it is

thankyou very much :)

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Andrew,

UBC doesn't look at ANY of your high school courses or grades for either med school or dental school. They will only look at the courses you have done after graduating high school (ie. those in college/university).

You've still got a TON of time before you need to worry about UBC med admissions. Chances are good that by the time you apply, that the admissions criteria will be different then (they are constantly being re-evaluated for their suitability). Just enjoy high school, study what you like, pursue outside interests, and have fun! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest kosmo14

GK, you are correct in your numbers, that for the 50 in province spots there has consistantly been around 75 in province applicants for the past couple of years. This started when they brought in the MCAT a few years ago. Ian is also right, it is darn cold here in the winter, but in Saskatoon's defence it is also extremely nice here in the summer, and lately you would be lucky to see 5 days of rain all summer. My thoughts on the reasons for the low number of applicants is that you are required to get an 8 on each section of the MCAT and an N on the writing sample. Although those are relatively easy numbers to achieve, there are no exceptions, if you miss on one section you wait another year. As well, I know that the vast majority of those taking the MCAT here in Saskatchewan have just finished thier first year and have relatively little exposure to the sciences, other than the introductory courses, and probably even less verbal skills, and therefore a lot of people try the MCAT, fail, and seek an alternative career.

I am positive over the next few years that the number of applicants will rise, I have even heard it has risen this year. At the same time the MCAT is changing and that may have future implications on the number who achieve the minimum numbers. I have also heard a "rumor" (note that it is a rumor and may be way off base) that they may lower the standard so that you will be allowed to have one 7 in one section of your MCAT.

All that being said, I am advising you to do as the others have said, and that is look at all of your options. What do you want to study? Where do you want to live? etc... because by the time you are ready to apply as an in province resident, the U of S may have gotten over the first few years after the MCAT and there may again be 400 in province applicants, and you will be in the same boat as at any other school, but end up being in a place you don't like.

Each school has its own advantages, I think the advantage of the UofS is the small class sizes.

Hope this helps

Archived