Premed 101 Forums

to anger or not to anger... a prof

Guest bad hombre

Guest bad hombre

hi all,

Last term i got an 84 in a particular course. This doesn't sound that bad since it's my lowest mark this year. Only thing is my GPA last year was 3.74 and I intend to apply next year (i'm in 2nd year), so I'm trying to really smoke my GPA this year to get it in the 3.85+ range. the 3.7 from the 84 doesn't help. what do you guys think, should i go beg the prof for an 85? Even if it costs me my dignity? I'm not sure just how receptive he'll be to the obssesive premedness i suffer. plus... he's already corrected my final mark because of a mistake by one of the TA's. any input is much appreciated.

Guest premed911

here is my answer in the form of a question: If that is your lowest mark last term...then why do you worrying about not getting above 3.85? you do realize that an 85 and above is 3.9 and so you are very well covered and a single 3.7 will NOT jeapodize anything..Trust me and Relax..It seems easy for me to say this now, but couple years down the road (possibly even next year), you will know what I had meant.

What's the worst that can happen- apply the following year? Don't worry, as long as you keep the present level of marks you should be safe on the academic side of the admission process

Hey,

Gotta agree totally. Don't bug the prof over such a silly request. I know it may seem like a big deal now, but this grade will not make or break your acceptance to medical school. I used to be a TA and it annoyed me tremendously when students pulled stuff like that. Funny, it was never the students with Bs (very respectable grade for most people, just not premed keeners like us) who came knocking on my door with some supposed error they found or a point of contention, but always the A students looking for a bit more. Only in a small minority of cases did I change their grade, and the rest I always remembered as difficult students. Trust me on this one - don't annoy the prof, you may need him/her one day.

Best of luck!

Guest bad hombre

thanks for the quick replies. i guess i do have to chill a bit. i remember bein like this when i applied to university when i shouldn't have worried about anything. what i meant with the 3.85+ was that i need a 3.96 this year to compensate for the 3.74 last year. i guess the most you can do is try your best. i won't bug the prof, it's probably true that a percent can't make that big a difference in the long run. cheers

Guest Jase133

bad hombre,

i think you should go and ask the prof for that extra percent. it wouldn't hurt especially if you don't care what the prof thinks. in terms of your gpa, it will improve it, although slightly, but in the right direction.

just a thought.

Guest bad hombre

fgh,

yes... unfortunately i too have become one of 'those' guys...

:(

i remember how i used to promise myself i'd never sink THIS low...

if it's any consolation i still drink heavily every weekend.

Guest not rex morgan

just a word of advice. unless you have a good rapport with the prof, i wouldn't be asking him/her for a reference letter. make sure you have a good rapport with another prof if you are going through with asking for 1 measly percent from this one.

Archived