Premed 101 Forums

A lil Help Needed ...

Guest Sanabsb

Guest Sanabsb

Hey Guys~

First of all, I have to congratulate u all for doing ur best for those of us who are interested in Medicine. Certainly its a great help and this forum deserves all my appreciation :D

Secondly, I wanted to ask if taking 4 or 5 full year courses really affect the admission status when u apply for Medicine? yeah I am talking about the undergrad years.. I do know that some of the medical schools require students to take 5 full year courses in atleast 1 year during undergrad, but I just wanted to make sure if taking 5 courses in more than 1 year is actually a benefit point for applicants or not.

Also, do applicants must need to have a biochemistry credit ? I have taken many bio courses and the org chem + general Chem courses but somehow I haven't been able to fit any bio-chem course in my schedule. Is that really a bad thing?

Thanks a lot,

Keep up da work !

Me !

Guest Ian Wong

If you do full-time university, it can never hurt you in terms of how the med school analyzes your marks. Some med schools, such as U of T apparently, will treat your marks differently if you haven't been taking a full courseload each year. These policies will vary with each medical school, so it's best to check with them directly. You can find links to those med school websites here:

premed101.com/medschools.html

As far as med pre-reqs, those vary with each med school as well. For example, UBC requires a third year, full year Biochemistry course as a pre-req. Many other med schools don't. Therefore, the onus is on you to check which schools you are interested in applying to, and whether or not you have satisfied those pre-reqs. Again, you can do that through the above websites.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived