Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate Research Assistant

precision

Hi,

I'm 2 months into my first research assistant position and as I'm trying to enhance the Research portion of medical school application, I am wondering if it will be best to have one or multiple different research positions in a 2-3 year period.

Would it be better to work in the same research assistant position for 2-3 years or should I work in a different area each year?

Hi,

I'm 2 months into my first research assistant position and as I'm trying to enhance the Research portion of medical school application, I am wondering if it will be best to have one or multiple different research positions in a 2-3 year period.

Would it be better to work in the same research assistant position for 2-3 years or should I work in a different area each year?

Hi precision,

I'll give you my perspective for what it's worth. I think the best way for you to enhance your research section would be to have an active role in presentations and publications. And it may take you a couple of years before you are given those opportunities. Therefore, I think it mat very well benefit you to stay in a research lab in a long term position.

Hope that explains my reasoning, though others may have different advice. This is what makes the most sense to me, though. :)

Archived