Premed 101 Forums

Change of program

hopesUp8

Hi!

I was simply wondering...I did my first year of University at McGill in Biochemistry, and I didn't get the grades I expected, so I changed programs and I transferred to Universite de Montreal. I've got 2 years left...so when will come the time for me to apply to McGill's med school, will they consider my grades in Biochemistry? Or will they only consider the grades of my finished degree at UdeM?

Assuming your grades have significantly improved, you should be fine. As previously mentioned, they require full disclosure. You might even mention the switch and why in your narrative, using a positive light. Remember for McGill, they like ECs/volunteering whereas the French speaking med schools don't care.

They will consider the grades of your latest finished degree. So if you have graduated from UdM may 2011, they will only consider those grades without considering the grades in biochemistry in your 2011 admission. If you apply this year without a completed degree, I think you must be in your last year and have graduated by september 2012. The post of f_d is also fundamental to consider if you apply this year.

L

Archived