Premed 101 Forums

Questions about MMI

I just have a couple of questions about the MMI. (I am doing it in Saint John).

- Are you expected to read the questions (ie. put onto the door), and THEN enter the room? Do you have the 2 minutes to read? Or, is the scenerio given to you while in the room. If so, is it read out or written down?

- Are you allowed a pencil and paper to use to write down ideas while reading?

- I see I will have 8 minutes to respond. However, most of the answers I had for the practice questions would have only taken me about 1-2 minutes to respond. Or, will the interviewer have a sort of a conversation with me? ie. have counter arguments?

Thank you!

I just have a couple of questions about the MMI. (I am doing it in Saint John).

- Are you expected to read the questions (ie. put onto the door), and THEN enter the room? Do you have the 2 minutes to read? Or, is the scenerio given to you while in the room. If so, is it read out or written down?

- Are you allowed a pencil and paper to use to write down ideas while reading?

- I see I will have 8 minutes to respond. However, most of the answers I had for the practice questions would have only taken me about 1-2 minutes to respond. Or, will the interviewer have a sort of a conversation with me? ie. have counter arguments?

Thank you!

In general, these are the answers to the best extent of my knowledge:

1. The door will have the question posted on it. You will have 2 minutes to read. Then you enter and immediately hand a sticker with your ID or barcode to the interviewer (you will have a sheet full of unique ones to you) and get started answering. IF it's an activity or actor station, you will need to start doing the activity or responding to the actor appropriately. Get into character immediately.

2. You will not be allowed anything into the room (e.g. pen or paper), nor will you have any time to waste on stuff like that. However, on occasion, I have had interviewees write using a pen and paper that I had as "extra" for myself lying on the table. I never found that helpful to the interviewee as most answers do not need time to be wasted on drawings.

3. Speak for as long as you can and cover as many perspectives and aspects of the answer as possible. Good answers are always interviewee-directed and thorough, usually lasting about 4-6 minutes. This will leave a minute or so for follow-up questions. The transition from your answer to the interviewer's follow-up questions should be natural and smooth. "Feel" it as you go. But, don't keep your initial answer to less than 3 minutes. It's a sign of weakness of knowledge or thought on the topic.

Good luck!

I really wouldn't get too hung up on the fine points like this. If you'd prefer to shake the hand of the interviewer at any station (acting included), it would be appropriate, but by no means required. Just do what feels natural. You'll find it's a fairly casual atmosphere :).

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking for advice..

For questions that require a yes or no answer, is it always a must to pick one, and come to a conclusion. Or, would it be okay to argue both sides?

Ex. Absolutely yes, before of this. OR. I pick yes, if X were to happen. I would say no, if Y were to happen.

For questions that require a yes or no answer, is it always a must to pick one, and come to a conclusion. Or, would it be okay to argue both sides?

Ex. Absolutely yes, before of this. OR. I pick yes, if X were to happen. I would say no, if Y were to happen.

You can argue both sides, but in most cases you're expected to end pick a side, even if it's measured. It happened to me in 1 station where I was really in the middle and I got pressured until I picked a side, though I did point out it wasn't a clear winner for me.

You should pick a side, but it is very important to not be absolute (there will be a reason that the situation/question poses an ethical/professional dilemma - try to figure out why). You can argue both sides, but ultimately you have to come to a conclusion.

Don't try to straddle the middle ground too much in the MMI (you have to be opinionated), but don't be so absolute in your beliefs that you can't see the point of view of the other side.

You should pick a side, but it is very important to not be absolute (there will be a reason that the situation/question poses an ethical/professional dilemma - try to figure out why). You can argue both sides, but ultimately you have to come to a conclusion.

Don't try to straddle the middle ground too much in the MMI (you have to be opinionated), but don't be so absolute in your beliefs that you can't see the point of view of the other side.

I agree with mavrik. Ultimately, I think you will have to pick one side and justify it (that is the key). However, it is important to acknowledge the other side of the argument and its merits. As well, I would not that circumstances matter. While my opinion in one particular circumstance is clear, it may change should circumstances change.

In the end, doctors gotta make tough decisions and stick with them. This is great (but nerve-wracking) practice! :)

Archived