Mcat Question Helpp

parham3

Organic Chemistry Question HELPPP?

The following separate reactions are in the S enantiomer

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH-OH-CH3 + SOCl2 =

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH-OTs-CH3 + CN(-) =

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH-Br-CH3 + CH3OH =

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH-OH-CH3 +CH3OTs=

PLease indicate which one is the nucleophile, electrophile. The sterochemical outcome (ex.racemic/ inversion). And the products.

PLease Help, it would be very helpful

I don't remember the specific details of organic chem. but I think the question is asking you to assume all reactants are in their S form and are reacted with other reactants. for each reaction they wan't you to figure out what happens (is it sn1, sn2 or e1 or e2), and based on that you can figure out the outcome of the product..

A. I know socl2 replaces the OH with a Cl, not sure if it applies here since this is an ether.

B. CN- is a strong nucleophile and OTS is a great levaing group so its sn2 = inversion of configuration.

C. CH3OH can act as sn2 nucleophile or it can also do the other reactions if the substrate is hindered..

D. as said before, the OTS is the leaving group, so probablly an sn2 reaction and inversion..

I don't remember the specific details of organic chem. but I think the question is asking you to assume all reactants are in their S form and are reacted with other reactants. for each reaction they wan't you to figure out what happens (is it sn1, sn2 or e1 or e2), and based on that you can figure out the outcome of the product..

A. I know socl2 replaces the OH with a Cl, not sure if it applies here since this is an ether.

B. CN- is a strong nucleophile and OTS is a great levaing group so its sn2 = inversion of configuration.

C. CH3OH can act as sn2 nucleophile or it can also do the other reactions if the substrate is hindered..

D. as said before, the OTS is the leaving group, so probablly an sn2 reaction and inversion..

A. I think OP meant this to be a secondary alcohol. In that case, SOCl2 is a nucleophile that attacks the carbon that the -OH group is attached to (the electrophile or substrate) in an Sn2 reaction. This reaction is rather sterically hindered (as it is a secondary alcohol) so it will be a fairly slow Sn2 reaction.

Archived