Premed 101 Forums

Med Apps for Smart Phones

After using a beaten up moto razor for 3 years, my very basic plan has finally come to an end. I'm looking at getting a smartphone. I heard that Apple iPhones have certain apps very useful to medical students. Is this true? Is it worth it going for an iPhone versus a Samsung Galaxy because of the med apps?

Please advise. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bougth a Motorola XT860 4G (aka Droid 3), which is available from Bell Canada. It's basically the same as th Atrix, but it has an integrated thumb keyboard. I can't stand soft keyboards because of my fat clumsy fingers. The display is also slightly larger than th I-Phone and it comes with a HDMI cable, so you can watch videos and view documents and images on a big screen. It comes with 16Gb of internal memory, which can be increased with a MicroSD chip (unavailable on I-Phone 4S) and, if you feel like spending a little bit more ($90 -$150), I suggest you buy a 32Gb MicroSD chip. You'll even have room for a bunch of movies and an even bigger bunch of games for when you have some down time away from home.

Android phones also have an assload of medical apps, many of them free.

Her is a pic:

http://recenttechnology.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Motorola-XT860-4G.jpg

I suggest you check the I-Tunes Store and the Android Market before you make a final decision.

One problem: I cannot find holster large enough for it. So far I bought a polycarbonate protective case and screen protector, and am using my old Roots PDA holster sans the detachable top flap, but would really like to find a properly fitting case. The phone sticks out on top and I am scared of running with it.

By the way Corie, congratulations! You have the most offensive avatar on this board. It makes my skin crawl when I see it.

Love!

Archived