Premed 101 Forums

Dietetics/Physical Therapy

Hello,

Does anyone know how difficult the courses are for a dietetics program or physical therapy program? (relative to a science degree). I will be applying to these programs as a backup and I want to achieve ~4.0 throughout. I am asking because one of the reasons I ruled out nursing as a 2nd option was because I heard that their courses are very subjective and is hard to guarantee a good mark even if you know all the material. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It sounds like you're just looking for an "easy" program and to be honest, there's no such thing. You really do have to work for your marks no matter what program you're in. I'm currently at UWO studying Nutrition and Dietetics as a second UG degree and I can tell you that most of the courses are very challenging. It's possible to achieve a 4.0 (that's my goal), but I have never put in so much work in my life. There are science courses (Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Food Science, etc.) and a lot of subjective courses (Professional Perspectives, Business Decisions, Human Ecology, etc.). You really get to experience a lot of different disciplines and I've found it very rewarding so far.

The best way to maximize your chances of doing well is to pick a major that you are extremely interested in. Otherwise you won't enjoy it, you won't put in the work, and it'll be a waste of your time. I suggest you don't just pick an easy major, but find out what you're really passionate about and pursue that.

Thanks for your response! I'm definitely not looking for an "easy" program as I know any professional program will be challenging. I love challenges and thrive on them and I work my hard regardless. I am genuinely interested in dietetics and physical therapy (more towards dietetics though). I just wanted to know if hard work can be realistically reflected in the grades as it seems some programs, from just what I've heard, are harder to get good grades just on pure hard work because of their subjectiveness. I do not know anyone personally who is studying dietetics, hence why I posted here :P Would you mind telling me a bit more about your experience at UWO, and also about some of the courses you've mentioned? Right now I have been looking into UBC and McGill because of their integrated internship program. Thanks a lot!

Having graduated from RN degree program in 2009, I can say you are right about subjectiveness of courses. In my case, my first 2.5 years were mostly medical sciences, objectively marked exams, I achieved an A- average....the last 1.5 years mostly essays I got between B and B+ average. I wrote about this in my med application. No matter how much effort you put into papers, the mark is based on someone's interpretation of your writing. That said I have a great career as a Nurse and it is good preparation for being an MD....if I get in!

Having graduated from RN degree program in 2009, I can say you are right about subjectiveness of courses. In my case, my first 2.5 years were mostly medical sciences, objectively marked exams, I achieved an A- average....the last 1.5 years mostly essays I got between B and B+ average. I wrote about this in my med application. No matter how much effort you put into papers, the mark is based on someone's interpretation of your writing. That said I have a great career as a Nurse and it is good preparation for being an MD....if I get in!

Thanks so much for your insight! I guess the admissions committee would definitely take that into effect. Good luck with your applications :)

I do not know anyone personally who is studying dietetics, hence why I posted here :P Would you mind telling me a bit more about your experience at UWO, and also about some of the courses you've mentioned? Right now I have been looking into UBC and McGill because of their integrated internship program. Thanks a lot!

If you're really interested about every aspect of food, then dietetics is probably a good choice. If you're only interested in learning about nutrition then this isn't it. My current course load is:

Introduction to Business Decisions

Introduction to Nutrition

Food Science

Physiology

Statistics (half-year)

Nutrition Throughout the Human Life Cycle (half-year)

There are a variety of courses from different disciplines and you learn about food from so many different perspectives. The Nutrition program is based at the Brescia campus, so my Food and Nutrition courses are located there. It's got kind of a highschool feel to it. This has advantages and disadvantages. Overall I really enjoy the program, despite it being completely different from my initial expectations. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them or elaborate on my previous points. Send me a PM if you'd like.

Edit: I should also mention that although Dietetics is a competitive field (everyone is competing for limited internship placements), it is possible to do well in the program if you put in the work.

Archived