Premed 101 Forums

*Clinical Experience*

Guest MedDreams

Guest MedDreams

Hi,

I've heard a lot about the importance of obtaining clinical experience before applying to Med School, but can anyone give some clear examples of what kinds of experience these schools are looking for? Is it simply volunteering in a hospital type setting or actually participating in research activities? Can some of you list exactly what you're doing to meet this clinical experience requirement?

Thanks...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Judging by some of the types of interview questions I encountered which centered around clinical experiences in my background, it seems that some interviewers may be less interested in looking for a specific type of clinical experience, and more interested in determining whether or not, via your clinical exposure, you have a sound and fairly good idea as to what you're getting into.

With respect to the types of experiences that help you achieve a knowledge of the life o' physician and health care environment, they are diverse. Ranging anywhere from direct exposure via actually working within the field (around doctors and other caregivers) to more indirect experiences (such as interactions with friends/family who are involved in health care themselves) there are many routes to discovering what being a Canadian doctor is all about.

If interested in medicine then I think that some people will naturally gravitate to environments where they will achieve that exposure. This may be via a love of research (it's amazing how much you learn about healthcare and the behind-the-scenes action, e.g., the massaging required to obtain some tissues from pathology), a love of policy and the health care system (in which case you may choose to regularly read certain health care publications or discuss issues with those in the know) or simply a love of being around people and giving them a helping hand (where the volunteering may come into play). There are endless other resources out there to help you determine what you like, and if this is the field for you. If it is, then you may discover that all of these experiences just naturally accumulate and convince you that, "hey, this is the place I want to be".

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

On the topic of what kind of clinical experience the medical schools are looking for, I have to say that Kirsteen hit the nail right on the head. There are numerous ways in which people can garner this experience, be it hands on experience in patient care or simply by osmosis (for lack of a better term).

Personally, I have spent the last 6 years as a volunteer paramedic,hence my user name ;-) .in my city and so have been afforded a significant amount of clinical experience first hand. I think the important thing is that you convey to the powers that be that you clinical experience was not simply because you heard that it was something you needed for medical school, but rather a genuine attempt to learn about the field in which you hope to enter.

Hope that answers your question :-)

Archived