Premed 101 Forums

In this time of waiting

Guest monkey

Guest monkey

ah...finished my interviews. In this time of waiting, I can't help but think more seriously about what my other baskets are for next year. Although I felt pretty good about the application process, it is probably wise to think about some other things I could pursue if this year does not go as planned. I wanted to know what other interesting things people have done when they didn't get in the first time. I have considered doing a BEd, doing some more travelling or keeping my current position as a resp tech at the hospital. Still letting things stir a bit.

Guest PeterHill0501

Lucky you...it sounds like your interview went well. Congratulations! I'm actually amazed at how many people don't have a back-up plan. Personally, like you, I have seriously considered my options. At present, I am working for Statistics Canada so I have decided to continue on with my current job should things not work out the way I want.

My interview is tomorrow. On one hand, it will be nice to jump over this last hurdle...on the other hand...the final waiting period will begin. Although it must be a formidable job to interview and rank all of the applicants at a given school, it's really too bad it takes so long to hear an answer. The good news is that there won't be any more ambiguity soon!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there monkey,

It's a bit of a harrowing process, eh? Still, it is positive to consider the alternatives, just in case that fatvelope doesn't squeeze itself through the mailbox in May, at least to lessen the pain and worry of what is next. Also, it's a great time to throw yourself into the books if you're still taking courses, and slam dunk those babies, just to wrap the undergrad side of things up nicely (and assure that your marks don't fall--since some universities do want to see those nice, final transcripts!).

On this end, I've decided that if I don't head off to BC this September then it's time to quit the day job and focus on this much desired career in medicine. As such, I'd like to begin the PhD side of the MD/PhD, and so, have already applied to the Epidemiology program at UT as a back-up. May as well get things going on one side of that MD/PhD slash.

Cheers and best of luck,

Kirsteen

Guest StevenChase

Hey Kirsteen:

I was wondering if you were going to apply directly to the PhD program in epidemiology or to the Msc program (Is it possible to apply directly to the Phd program?), secondly is it difficult to add the MD to the Phd later on? Finally (sorry about this) does the epidemiology program accept people who do not have experience in health care already, the impression I got from the web site was that it contained lots of community med docs and other public health and community health professionals.

Ok one more (now im really sorry about all the questions!) Did you not (based on your previous posts) want to do a Phd program based on gyn/Obs is this possible through a epidemiology Phd.

Thanks alot kirsteen I'm really sorry about these crazy questions!

Good Luck to you

PS. i think youll be headed to BC for the MD/Phd so the only time you will have to think about the epi program is when I ask my annoying questions :)

Take care

steve

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Steve,

No probs re: the questions. It can be a wild department (UT Public Health Sciences (PHS)) to navigate if you haven't had any prior exposure to it.

I've actually applied to the Master's program to begin with, and it's the research-based MSc. in Epidemiology (I will definitely consider re-qualifying for the PhD program later on if need be, prior to gaining the MD training). UT offers a number of primarily research-based Master's programs within the Dept. of PHS, e.g., Health Promotion, etc. The Masters that you may be thinking of, or have seen is the MHSc.--Masters of Health Sciences, which seems to be geared more towards the health professional looking towards an alternate form of career development.

Although the application for the MSc. in Epidemiology asks for a listing of any related experience in the health care field, I don't believe that it is an absolute requirement. I have a bit of health care experience behind me, so I've never really worried about this factor too much.

Yep, I'm still considering in the Obs/Gyn pathway, and there are definitely groups here in TO who are involved in clinical epidemiology related to the areas within Obs/Gyn that interest me, so I'll be contacting them if/when I take that route. So yes, as far as I know, it still appears that the MSc. in Epidemiology is quite bespoke-able depending on your area of interest. (By the way, with regards to the UBC Obs/Gyn group that I have been conferring with these past months, it is primarily clinical epidemiology research that I would be involved in, if I were to go the Obs/Gyn route there.)

Hope that clears up some confusion, and if you have any further questions I'd be happy to try to answer them, but also don't be afraid to contact the UT Dept of PHS directly--they're an incredibly friendly and welcoming group of people.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Msax35

Well, considering that when you become a doctor down the road, you may be running your own practice, or at the very least having to make some sense of the whole budgetary process (Fed/Prov/Hospital) - how about enrolling in an MBA program. Many of them are two years, but there may be still some one year programs out there. Regardless, even if you didn't finish it, you would learn a lot of useful skills and maybe even find it kind of fun (especially if you haven't taken anything in this area before).

Just a thought.... this coming from an MBA (long, long ago) who is now taking science prereqs and pondering applying to Meds.... :)

Archived