Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research

Lost&Found

Hi everyone,

I recently obtained a research position with a doctor at St. Mike's hospital for Summer 2012. The position seems great and I'm super excited about participating in clinical research, but he's just informed me that he cannot confirm that he will be able to pay me a salary for my summer work. He says that he has applied for funding for my position and is "quite hopeful" that he will get it. Otherwise, he's offered me work on a volunteer/unpaid basis. I'm not sure how these grants work. How possible do you think it is that he will obtain funding? Ideally, I'd like to be paid, since it's for an entire 4 months. But I don't know if I should tentatively agree to work on a volunteer basis.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~L&F

Universities and hospitals often have their own awards as well. If your research is in an specific clinical area, related foundations and associations may also have awards available. If your supervisor isn't aware of these, you'll have to do some digging on your own on the internet or at the student awards office.

I suppose I could...Actually, I'm planning on taking the MCAT next summer and being a volunteer may give me more flexibility with my hours so maybe I'll have more time to study?...I'm a little disappointed...I think his research is great and it fits well with what I'm studying...Damn...He suggested that I explore other opportunities if I'm 100% set on paid research...I guess I should ask him when he'll know for sure if he can or can't pay me?

I'm not in need of $ in the sense that I'm not paying for my own tuition. I'd like some cash inflow (because who wouldn't) but I guess I don't NEED it. Actually, the PI was very supportive of my pursuit of med school and made it clear that he'd be more than willing to write me a reference letter, even if I only choose to stay with his lab for one summer...I guess I should consider it, huh?

In case you're still wondering about this, I was a St. Mike's summer student a couple of years ago. In addition to the scholarship (which is what I think your PI applied to), you can also apply for funding through IMS...not sure when the deadline is but definitely worth looking into.

I'm not too sure as to the specifics (I didn't actually receive it myself as I was hired way too late, but another girl in the lab did). From what she was saying, it seemed like most labs generally got at least one scholarship, so if you're the first student hired your chances should be pretty good.

Hey there,

I'd rather not say what I'm studying in undergrad for personal reasons, but I can tell you that I took a year of calculus in first year, grade 11 physics and a year of physics in second year (the course was the equivalent of first year physics but didn't cover all the material that first year physics does).

Archived