Premed 101 Forums

GPA for Mac question

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can tell me about how the Mac GPA is calculated. I know they mention that all grades are counted on a straight average.

However, I took some accounting courses outside of my degree while I was at business school that I need for my Chartered Accountant designation. Will those grades count? I took them at various universities (one at Queens, one at York, and 3 at Athabasca). Also I'm taking some prerequisites at Athabasca U (for U of T) - will these count as well? Or do they just look at courses taken as part of my degree?

Thanks in advance!

It'll be fun having to order transcripts for all of those schools ;)

LOL no kidding. I took them all in one year too and I remember I was audited by Revenue Canada because I had tuition tax credit for 4 different universities - they found that a bit odd!

As far as I know Mac takes all UNDERGRAD gpa courses into account. I'm not sure how it would work in your case, the best bet would be to contact admissions and request a clarification or something. However, through my trawling, I found this

"An overall simple average will be calculated using the grades from all undergraduate degree level courses ever taken (with the exception of credits taken on exchange outside of Canada/USA). Work of different years is treated equally. This average is calculated by the applicant on the OMSAS Academic Record Form and verified on the OMSAS Verification Report which is sent to applicants. McMaster University may also review and revise this average. The marks from supplementary and summer courses will be included in the GPA calculation. Courses for which a "Pass" grade is assigned are counted for credit, but will not be included in the GPA calculation. In order for the GPA to be evaluated, independent grades from a minimum of 5 half-year or 5 full-year courses are required, without which the application will not be considered."

Since they count supplementary courses, perhaps your CA courses will be included as well? Seems like the best bet right now is to contact them and let them know of your situation.

Archived