Premed 101 Forums

what do YOU want to do???

Guest marmotYVR

Guest marmotYVR

Over several threads, a common topic keeps emerging, which I can't help but comment on... "how do I live my life from now until meds?" i.e. where do I work, volunteer, eat lunch ;) , what is the best back-up plan etc etc

I know that a med school application becomes life-encompassing, but it is really important that pre-meds take a step back, and ask what they REALLY want to do - independent of any desire to go to med school. I hate to jinx people, but there is a chance that some of us on this bulletin board will NEVER get admitted to meds(shoulder-check for bolts of lightening ;) )

Look at your options as tho med school is NOT an option - and THEN decide what you want to do. Ask yoursef this: when you look back on how you spent (potentially) years of your life, will you determine that your time spent was worthwhile? enjoyable? exciting? Or, would you regret your decisions, or have preferred to do something else?

If you make your decision based on your interests and desires (rather on your perceptions of what is wanted by adcoms), this WILL come across in your application, and your interview, and ultimately (IMHO) should INCREASE your chances at meds.

I can honestly say, that NOTHING I have done in my life has been intended for the critical eye of meds adcoms. I did what interested me, what I enjoyed, and I have had a great time in the process. When I recently decided to apply to meds, I decided to continue to live my life for myself, not some committee. So I went on a 4 month holiday to South America (nope, I didn't do ANY work/volunteering there), went to the north, took time off for some canoeing in the Yukon etc etc. With that, I have an interview at Mac on Saturday. Why? (It certainly wasn't my not-so-amazing GPA!) Because, (I believe), I was able to express (in 700 characters or less) some enthusiasm about my choices, as well as some life lessons learned.

Please, everyone, for the sake of your sanity, step off the meds-track for a second! Do you really want to sit in a lab for 4 years to impress some adcom research-geek, when you would prefer a more people-focussed position? Or vice-versa?

Make the decision that is right for you personally, so that regardless of the meds outcome, you will be happy with what you've done in your life. Take it from an older chick - time flies - so don't waste it!

Just my 2 cents worth...

That was a very nice post. I am happy that you found things that are interesting for you and hope you do well during your interview.

However, I fail to see why it is wrong to be focused about getting into medical school. It is my impression that at times some applicants (actually, I think almost all applicants) maybe forced to make a sacrifice. That may mean going back to up-grade, doing a graduate degree, volunteering in an area you may not be interested in (does it really come as a big surprise to you that some premeds volunteer with geriatric patients even through they have no interest in doing so?) travelling, ect, ect,. If this helps an applicant obtain their goal can this be considered a waste of their time. not all of us believe travelling in alaska or south america gives us the best chance to gain admission to a medical program. your advice seems awfully naive.

it is my opinion that a solid GPA, volunteer work and research experience make a solid (yet perhaps not guinuine) application.

good luck.

Guest marmotYVR

AABB-

I think perhaps my post needs some clarification.

I am not saying that people shouldn't be focused on getting into med school. I am simply suggesting that, out of all the options that exist to "boost" a resume, pre-meds should actually, honestly look at what they enjoy, and put their energy where they will flourish, both personally and professionally. I truly hope that adcoms are not so narrowminded as to insist on a required "have done" list : 5 published papers, 4 GPA, 3 helpful deeds, 2 trips abroad, 1 grad school thesis... (sing it, if you want, to the tune of 12 days of xmas...) :hat

I strongly believe that people can have it both ways - enjoy life now, and build a resume that will help them get into med school. The intention of my post was simply to encourage people to think about what they truly enjoy. I recall a post, where the relative merits of volunteering at Planned Parenthood, the hospital or umm, somewhere else were debated. All I could think was (as I said before) "what do YOU want to do?"

It just seems to me that people are constructing their lives to become the person they THINK the adcoms want see. I have been on the adcom side of things, and what I wanted to see were people who challenged themselves, were well-rounded, and had a passion for the interests that they pursued.

Perhaps I am naive. But I'm also happy, I've had lots of amazing experiences, and, regardless of the outcome, I consider my time well spent. Oh, by the way, some people (i.e. me) actually enjoy travelling! In fact, I threw away a wonderful, stable job which I loved in order to be able to travel more. Not only that, but the amazing job I gave up? I was my other passion: geriatrics. Some of us actually like this stuff ! :)

Best of luck to you in your med school quest!

Guest medwant2b

Hi AABB & marmotYVR:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> However, I fail to see why it is wrong to be focused about getting into medical school.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I don't think the hypercompetitive atmosphere of premed is healthy and I'll tell you what I think is wrong with it. I think it has a tendency to breed people with a narrow focus that --don't really understand the world around them and fail to comprehend life outside of medicine.

IMHO, there is only a fine difference between commitment to the idea of studying medicine and being obsessed with it. I think that sadly, a significant number really do obsess about it. :( The result is that poorer physicians are bred, ones that have lost sight of what else is out there-- and for instance don't make time for their families.

marmotYVR --best of luck! You seem to be one of the ones that has medicine in a greater sense of perspective. :) Perhaps, I'll see you next September--fingers crossed... I interviewed at Mac last week-end.

Well... I have to get back to my... 5 published papers, 4 GPA, 3 helpful deeds, 2 trips abroad, 1 grad school thesis... :D :rollin :D la la la... -- nice joke. :)

Guest UWOMED2005

MarmotYVR. . . please come to Western Meds (or any other medical school, for that matter). You are exactly what we're looking for. Same thing for MedWant2B. Someone who does interesting things for the sake of the experiences themselves. . . not just to get into medicine.

My experiences go mostly for Western - I'm not on the admissions committee, just a med student. Many med students do get into med school after doing the "canon" of meds applications - "research, high marks, and volunteer experience" in a hospital. That is not everyone though! There are people in med school who have never done research, never volunteered in a Hospital, and have just made the cutoffs.

That's NOT to say you shouldn't volunteer in a Hospital, or do research, or shoot for the highest marks possible. . . in fact, I did do all of those things myself, and many of my classmates did as well. But many didn't. And the problem is that there are too many stories out there about the person who didn't do one of those things and as a result, didn't get in. Seems like many applicants do things with the primary interest of getting into medicine. . . and sometimes (not always!) lose themselves.

Just because you've done those things won't guarantee you admissions. Unfortunately, med school admissions is somewhat of a crapshoot. . . you can't get around that. Having been through the process myself and with my current classmates, I like to view it this way. . . the top 10% get in no matter what. They've got great GPAs, great MCATs, did tons of stuff in Undergrad without impeding on their GPAs and have great personalities to match. The bottom 10% won't get in no matter how hard they try - they might have the GPAs and MCATs to get interviews. . . but they're also the kind of jerks who'd post on forums such as these under fake logins and try to scare other applicants away from the schools they're interested in. . . I 'hope' (but also know that's not always the case. . .) they'll flunk the interviews and get in nowhere.

One last thing. . . Marmot YVR, having said your attitude is amazing, I want to add one addendum. . . the unfortunate thing is that most schools in Canada in devising a system to analyze applicants include somethings that don't make sense. For example, sometimes schools care how many classes you've taken a year (ie 5 full courses.) Keep in mind of these restrictions when applying to med school - know your stuff about the apps procedure and you'll be fine.

Guest PeterHill0501

I think I'd much rather have people in medicine who are well-rounded. Being a bit older myself (38) I have not decided to go into medicine until recently...sure it's been something I've always wanted to do, however, it didn't make sense in my life until now. In the mean time I've travelled all over the world doing research for Nortel, had very different jobs within the telecommunications sector...worked in the pharmaceutical industry...ophthalmology research...now working for Stats Can. I've been married...divorced...have two kids...blah...blah... While all of these experiences don't necessarily make me a better candidate for medicine, they sure have given me a different perspective on what's important. I was actually quite amazed at how easy it was to draw on all that stuff during my interview. It truly reinforced that this is the right time in life to do medicine. Just my two cents...

Guest medwant2b

I reread the posts here...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I recall a post, where the relative merits of volunteering at Planned Parenthood, the hospital or umm, somewhere else were debated. All I could think was (as I said before) "what do YOU want to do?"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I wrote the post you're probably referring to. :o:(:o (click on the following link pub44.ezboard.com/fpremed...D=60.topic )

Hmmmm. I'm not quite sure what to say. :\ I imagine you're thinking --'you're a hypocrite' (based on what I posted above).

Well-- In my defense -- A number of my comments were made in reference to what I had posted in that topic. In fairness to the adcom at Mac-- they did ask me about the volunteering I did. BUT--they didn't ask me why I didn't volunteer at Planned Parenthood--they were interested in why I didn't volunteer at a hospital.

Nevertheless--you have made me realize my handle 'medwant2b' may project a certain image. That image being: 'I just wanna get in to meds--that is my life.' That isn't me. In fact, I didn't consider medicine as a career choice until a couple of years ago. The reason I chose the handle was --at the moment meds is just a dream and by no means a certainty--I am just a 'want to be'. I realize now a handle totally unrelated to the idea of this board would have been better.

I still stand by the conclusion of that other post. The conclusion -- it wasn't apparent -- is: I don't know what the best place is to learn about medicine--but I think a hospital (at least for me) is a great place to do it.

The reasoning in that post I'll agree wasn't sound. :( I accept the criticism--it does have validity.

Guest marmotYVR

medwant2b-

I in no way meant to make you feel bad, embarrassed or hypocritical! It was just one example, of hundreds of posts, where people are getting a little TOO wrapped up in creating the best "image". I fully agree with you that the pre-med world is FAR too competitive. Frankly, I was quite shocked when I realized the lengths that people are going to!

That said, I have to emphasize again that I don't think that ANY choice people make re volunteering/research/life is wrong or bad - SO LONG AS the decision is made based on a geniune interest in the area - and NOT just to pad the resume!

If you feel that by volunteering in a hospital, you will get experience that is valuable for yourself, as well as for adcoms, then by all means, go for it! Obviously, it is important to figure out what we are getting into before we start sacrificing $$$ and time to do it!

And, if Mac asked why you hadn't volunteered in a hospital, I'd best start coming up with answers as to why I haven't volunteered ANYWHERE! (Or, at least, not according to my sketch - since then, I went on a medical aid mission to Guyana).

Don't worry about your handle, either - we are all want2b's, or we wouldn't be on this site!

Best of luck, hope to see you in Sept!

Marmot

Marmot

Guest coolieboy

hey bye!

i'm from guyana, and from all of us to you-thanks for the help. i wish you all de best and ting. i always does say...drink rum, play dominos, but rememba de tings that are important to you! stay true to your values and they will lead you to whatever you want. i got into medical school based on this notion, however, unfortunately had to decline due to familial issues. my values took me dat far, but also told me that it wasn't right, and that there were more important things to look afta. now i'z a mechanic at a shop that i own in scarborough, have a great family, and am a very happy man. i does check dis ting periodically to see people like you (people who were like me) trying to teach and get through to some of these people w/ the blinders on. thanks !

Guest bad hombre

hey marmot,

totally agree with you on that tip, do what you're interested in. then explain how that helped you develop as a person and how it has made you a better future physician.

on a separate note, i believe there are only a handful of canadian organizations that travel to guyana for medical aid. just wanted to let you know i'm involved in one that does, and i was wondering if your organization also has missions to belize. maybe we're involved in the same organization :)

Archived