Premed 101 Forums

Need some advice please!!

Guest sunshinesmiles222002

Hi everyone!

Well, I actually wasn't even planning to go into medicine when I entered university. It never even crossed my mind. In high school, I really enjoyed biology, so, I decided to get a biology degree. I must admit it was difficult and challenging, but I loved learning about the subject. I must admit though that my grades aren't necessarily the best. I hadn't really made up my mind on what I wanted to do until a while back. Some life events occurred (I can't really post it here because it's a private matter between another person), and it suddenly hit me, "I want to be a doctor." But, as I started researching all these medical schools, I realized that I majorly lack the GPA. So, I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth it to do the pre-requisites again? Because I majored in biology, a lot of my requirements are pre-requisites for medicine, though I never took biochemistry.

2. If I do the pre-requisites again, do medical admissions take the average of the courses taken? Or do they take the most recent ones?

Some people have suggested I do another health care related field like respiratory therapy and apply to medicine after a few years of doing that (I did actually apply for the time being not because I really wanted to do it, but because my parents have been pressuring me to choose some type of career). But, if I take that route, is it going to be even more difficult to get accepted into medical school?

I just wish that I had a better idea of what I wanted to do prior to my university education..then, I could have prepared better. But, it didn't really happen that way. Now that I FINALLY found what I really want to do, I realize that I don't really have the preparation for this career. I just don't want to walk away from this until I at least give it a try.

Just need a bit of advice & direction! Any would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading! :)

Hi again,

In addition, I do have quite a few volunteer experiences because I love volunteering since I enjoy meeting a lot of people. But, they're not at all related to medicine. So, that's another thing.

Guest Ian Wong

The medical school(s) where you hold provincial residency are the most likely to accept you. Therefore, I'd find out which med schools are in your province, and then contact them or visit their website to find out how they evaluate your GPA should you re-take those courses. From there, I'd also find find out a bit about the average GPA for applicants accepted to that school.

That information should help you decide how realistic your chances of eventual acceptance will be, and whether you want to re-take those courses, or perhaps do a graduate degree, etc.

Best of luck!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived