Premed 101 Forums

what are your plans?

Guest applicant

Guest applicant

I had a committee meeting today, and they not only criticized my research, but also my future plans (medz). I am putting out a tidbit to see how someone else would respond:

"Some of the TGH surgeon/scientist bunch consider the ICU admits their best patients. That's because they don't talk much! That is not universal, I know. But in the BUSY!!! clinician/scientist community, that's not new/unexpected."

My scientific work is seemingly successful. So my advisors are trying to make me consider forgetting about the MD part of my plan. The quote above is witnessed in first person by one of them. I was not just shocked but deterred (not enough to turn my plans upside down) from the clincal path. So, I have to agree with him that it is sick to pursue an MD degree unless you really WANT to care for the sick.

In the same tone it is sick for anyone to persue medicine if they have no interest in caring for the sick but rather seek the approval of society and a nice paycheck. However it is obvious that in most cases the interest of med students is in the the make of their automobile and not in helping squat!

Guest Ian Wong

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> However it is obvious that in most cases the interest of med students is in the the make of their automobile and not in helping squat! <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> Right... And you know this how?

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest medwant2b

Hi applicant:

I once heard straight from a surgeon's mouth (with a good natured laugh) something like '...some surgeons like their patients best when they are on the operating table.' Also, a resident once told me he didn't like the patient interaction at all... and thus choose to specialize in pathology.

You seem to be suggesting 'WANT to care for the sick' means 'likes to talk much with patients.' I'm not sure they are the same. The surgeon and the pathologist I know both seem to very much enjoy their work. As a physician communicating effectively is no doubt essential. Absolutely loving it, however, doesn't seem to be necessary (for surgeons and pathologists).

I think wanting to help the sick is important if you want to become a MD. That said, a physician once told me medicine is a big tent--there is room for many different kinds of people. Also, having a MD doesn't mean you can't do research... it means you can mix research and clinical work. :)

I'm an applicant too... that's my $0.02 worth.

Take Care, medwant2b

Archived