Premed 101 Forums

Salary and Stuff like that

Guest wannabedoc

Guest wannabedoc

Hiya guys, awesome board!

I have been looking here and talking with my friends about my choice to become a doctor. In this message board you talk about how as a resident you don't make much.

So am I to assume that once your finished your residency and get that magical title of doctor of whatever, that you make substantially more money ? Do not take this question the wrong way. I am simply looking at all my possible careers and for the vast majority of them I can see what is involved and the ending pay off. Medicine is a long haul so I am simply curious as to what the benefits are, besides the obvious fact that you would be doing something to help people, and a lifetime job which you would have to love to do.

I am genuinely interested in science and I love to work with people. I am just interested in after all that work, 4 years undergrad and 3-4 years med school, 4-7 years residency, what would a typical doctor be making. Something like a surgeon or ER guy.

Thanks guys,

Dave

Guest Ian Wong

Hi,

There's numerous links in the Premed101.com FAQ, which can be clicked on at the top of this forum. At the bottom of that message, you'll see lots of links regarding salaries. A surgeon or an ER doc will probably comfortably be billing in the six-figures, but will take home considerably less than that depending on their overhead costs (very little in Emerg Med) and taxes.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived