Premed 101 Forums

Rabies transmission human to human

I was bitten by an unknown dog today. I received the necessary prophylaxis but I am worried about my boyfriend since I know it spreads via saliva. I know it is very rare and I am being a nervous nelly but I want to be 100% sure. Does anyone know if I could have passed it (theoretically) within 5 hours of being bitten (would the infection have even reached my saliva had I contracted rabies? Also, is there any way to get the vaccine just as a precaution or do you need to have a valid reason?

Thanks

I asked the emergency physician and they told me it wasn't a problem, but i was asking more about general information about how and when it could be transmitted in general and about vaccination in general....not to really ask about my personal situation (just thought I would share why I was asking)

Go see your physician tomorrow and get your shot (if he/she agrees). You should inquire into getting the rabies shot. Also make sure your up to date on your tetanus shots too.

Edit: Sorry as for your immediate concern, I don't know. Usually if the animal is stray and cannot be found (you should call animal control) to be examined, precautions may be taken. However, the likelyhood of things having rabies in Canada is pretty low relatively. Try a walk-in clinic tomorrow morning to clarify your questions.

Thanks for the response, but I have already received necessary treatment but I was just wondering if anyone had more detailed information on rabies transmission (in humans) and vaccination. The emergency physician didn't seem concerned but also didn't seem to have that much information to offer.

As a public health resident, I can tell you that yes, human to human transmission is possible. It is extremely rare though and I highly doubt Public Health in your province would release the rabies vaccine for this reason. In BC, we wouldn't even release a rabies vaccine for an unknown dog bite. However, the epidemiology of rabies varies across Canada, and may be different if you're in the east.

Human to human transmission is possible, but it should only be transmissible through your saliva if you were symptomatic - at which time you would have much bigger problems to deal with. The rabies viruses would first have to travel from the muscle site where you were bit, to the PNS, up the CNS, to your brain and then to your salivary glands. This generally takes a month or more (the farther the bite is from your brain the longer the time frame) and that is why rabies vaccines can be given effectively after the bite. According to the WHO there has never been a confirmed case of human to human transmission through a bite, although it is theoretically possible. I would assume that it may be theoretically possible, but even less likely, if he kissed your wound. And far, far less likely from kissing long before you become symptomatic.

In BC, we wouldn't even release a rabies vaccine for an unknown dog bite. However, the epidemiology of rabies varies across Canada, and may be different if you're in the east.

Good point. According to the Ottawa Citizen earlier this week in 1980 there were 3000 animal cases in Ontario, whereas so far in 2011 there have been 2 cases, neither in a dog.

Under those conditions, it would also surprise me if Ontario released a rabies vaccine for an unknown dog bite, especially as there is a fairly long time frame to confirm the dog and still give the vaccine.

Thanks for everyone's responses - very reassuring even though I shouldn't be worried! But this is exactly what I was looking for:

Human to human transmission is possible, but it should only be transmissible through your saliva if you were symptomatic - at which time you would have much bigger problems to deal with. The rabies viruses would first have to travel from the muscle site where you were bit, to the PNS, up the CNS, to your brain and then to your salivary glands. This generally takes a month or more (the farther the bite is from your brain the longer the time frame) and that is why rabies vaccines can be given effectively after the bite. According to the WHO there has never been a confirmed case of human to human transmission through a bite, although it is theoretically possible. I would assume that it may be theoretically possible, but even less likely, if he kissed your wound. And far, far less likely from kissing long before you become symptomatic.

I was bitten on the finger so quite a ways to travel in a couple hours I suppose....

Thanks again!

Good point. According to the Ottawa Citizen earlier this week in 1980 there were 3000 animal cases in Ontario, whereas so far in 2011 there have been 2 cases, neither in a dog.

Under those conditions, it would also surprise me if Ontario released a rabies vaccine for an unknown dog bite, especially as there is a fairly long time frame to confirm the dog and still give the vaccine.

Just for interests sake, I did receive the vaccine - public health said it was up to the emergency physician since the dog hadn't been found and there was no way to know, it was mostly a precaution but got be a little more concerned about it which is why I posted on this forum

As a public health resident, I can tell you that yes, human to human transmission is possible. It is extremely rare though and I highly doubt Public Health in your province would release the rabies vaccine for this reason. In BC, we wouldn't even release a rabies vaccine for an unknown dog bite. However, the epidemiology of rabies varies across Canada, and may be different if you're in the east.

Why not release it? Is there a serious a/e or contraindication that I don't know about? (I'm not a resident in a field that deals with many animal bites). I would figure given the near 100% fatality rate of rabies, one would 'er on the side of caution and give it.

Archived