Premed 101 Forums

Choosing categories..

MedOrNothing

Hi ! I am new to this forum and I have some questions..

I am currently writing my masters degree, and I am not sure in which category I can/should fit.

When I finish my masters I will be able to apply as a non traditional pathway (no full time in the past 3 years), but can I still apply in the normal pathway?? There are only 3 spots in the traditional pathway.. I m not sure what the best bet is if i can apply to both.

any thoughts ?

Guest JustAnotherStudent
hi! No you can't go for both you have to choose.. but my GPA is not the most competitive one, but I have a lot under my belt ( +++ volunteer, community involvement through year long workshops for underprivileged, experience career in health, classical viola since I'm young, teacher assistant..ect)

since the personal narrative is worth more in the other pathway than the regular one.. I don't know what to do :( then again I am in grad studies and I can still improve my GPA..

ugh.

grad study cannot improve GPA as per McGill website

where does it say that ?? I know Udem doesn't consider your grad studies but I was pretty sure mcgill did ( or else why are ppl writing masters degrees and PHDs to get in ?? )

I’m pretty sure that also I read somewhere on their website that grad GPA is not included in the GPA calculation. Though certainly the research experience, attending/presenting at conferences, pubs, etc are solid life experiences which can add a positive spin to one’s application.

And why wouldn’t ppl with MSc and PhD get in? Pursuing grad studies is not synonymous with compensating for a subpar undergrad GPA, many grad applicants already have competitive uGPAs, and its the experiences and intellectual maturity that they’ve gained from grad school that really adds to their application.

Guest JustAnotherStudent
where does it say that ?? I know Udem doesn't consider your grad studies but I was pretty sure mcgill did ( or else why are ppl writing masters degrees and PHDs to get in ?? )

"For university-category applicants, with the exception of Non-Traditional Pathway and First Nations and Inuit applicants, the assessment of your academic performance is based on the following:

•undergraduate degree cumulative grade point average (DegGPA)

•academic performance in the basic sciences (science prerequisites)

•overall academic context

While academic performance in graduate programs is generally not considered, completed graduate degrees may be examined as part of the overall academic context.

"

Reference: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-are-we-looking/academics-university

hope that helps

While academic performance in graduate programs is generally not considered, completed graduate degrees may be examined as part of the overall academic context.

"

Reference: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-are-we-looking/academics-university

hope that helps

thx!!! this was so helpful!!! I was told it was pointless to apply throughout your masters degree and to wait until it was done to present your work in your application, but I was unable to find anything on the website that somehow supported that statement!

Thx!

Archived