Premed 101 Forums

Graduate program and type of research

Hope some grad students can give me some feedback:

I am working on my grad applications right now and I am pretty set on doing immunology research for my grad work, but I am confused as to whether it matters if one does such research through the Department of Immunology or through another department in which there are labs that do immunology work? For example, the department of medical biophysics at U of T seems to have a lot of fantastic immunology focused labs that interest me more than some others in the actual department of immunology.

Does it matter what department you do your grad degree in? I want to go into clinical immunology + immunology research in the future so will it be advantageous to get a PhD through the actual immunology department instead biophysics? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Hope some grad students can give me some feedback:

I am working on my grad applications right now and I am pretty set on doing immunology research for my grad work, but I am confused as to whether it matters if one does such research through the Department of Immunology or through another department in which there are labs that do immunology work? For example, the department of medical biophysics at U of T seems to have a lot of fantastic immunology focused labs that interest me more than some others in the actual department of immunology.

Does it matter what department you do your grad degree in? I want to go into clinical immunology + immunology research in the future so will it be advantageous to get a PhD through the actual immunology department instead biophysics? Does it matter?

Thanks!

I don't think the department necessarily matters. Especially for a grad program, it is probably best to pursue, both, the field and specialty that you are most interested in (considering that you are going to be tied to it for a minimum of 2 years). I think doing so will reflect much better in terms of publications and the work that you put in (better reference letters).

Ultimately whether you go into medicine or pure research, a good track record will be your key to success. :)

I don't think the department necessarily matters. Especially for a grad program, it is probably best to pursue, both, the field and specialty that you are most interested in (considering that you are going to be tied to it for a minimum of 2 years). I think doing so will reflect much better in terms of publications and the work that you put in (better reference letters).

Ultimately whether you go into medicine or pure research, a good track record will be your key to success. :)

Thanks for the tip Nasket! I'm applying to both departments just to be safe. I'm also thinking of the possibility of being co-supervised by two profs in a collaboration.

Archived