Premed 101 Forums

Cerena for Mod?

future_doc

Do you favour Cerena as Super Moderator?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you favour Cerena as Super Moderator?

• Yes
    • No

Not to be a party pooper since Cerena is an awesome person and has made some amazingly helpful posts, however, there isn't a need for any new mods.

The forum functions just fine the way it is, and those with moderator powers are salient enough as is. Being able to edit/delete other people's posts along with moving threads between forums won't really add any value to Cerena's or our own lives.

This thread is appreciation enough i think :) Keep up the good work Cerena!

Not to be a party pooper since Cerena is an awesome person and has made some amazingly helpful posts, however, there isn't a need for any new mods.

The forum functions just fine the way it is, and those with moderator powers are salient enough as is. Being able to edit/delete other people's posts along with moving threads between forums won't really add any value to Cerena's or our own lives.

This thread is appreciation enough i think :) Keep up the good work Cerena!

Thanks for the kind words, Obi :)

And yes, I completely understand where you are coming from (I was surprised when I saw the thread haha)!

If there is a need, I would love to be a mod.

And, if there isn't one, I will just keep doin' what I do.

G'luck with apps this year, Obi!

He (she?) basically said you shouldn't be a mod and you thank him?

In the portion you didn't quote, I have acknowledged that Obi has a point - that there may not be a need for new mods. However, if the forum is in need of one, I'd be glad to.

Specifically, I'm thanking Obi for his (or her) kind words. Because that member did say some nice things, and I wanted to thank him (or her).

What is behind it is that we always need an infusion of mods and they should be appointed not when there is an urgent requirement, rather when they can step into the position and develop their mod skills slowly. As our mods advance in med school or PhD studies, they will have less time to devote actively, so newer mods like Cerena than assume a greater role of leadership.

I believe it is a strategic error to believe mods should be appointed when there is an urgent need only. We have a strong group of excellent mods who have the time n ow to mentor newbie mods. :) It is really a thankless job that is quite difficult, I applaud those who asked for and assumed this important role of responsibility.

When I ran my own forum, threads like these drove me nuts.

Typically the staff are keeping their own eye on the forum and like to make their own decisions; these types of threads make them feel like their efforts are underappreciated. Further, if they'd already considered the person in question and make the person a mod, it encourages more 'make so-and-so a mod' behaviour; if they already considered the person and rejected them for reasons they don't wish to share (they are privy to more information than the userbase sometimes) it undermines community support. There may be excellent reasons. This forum has a fast mod response time and good coverage, so introducing another member to the team is only likely to be necessary if a staff member anticipates leaving. Overmodding can be a huge problem and difficult to remedy without offending valued members.

Cerena is an excellent, well-known forum member; don't you think you should let the staff decide if they need a new mod, and approach her if they do? I'm sure they are not blind to her personality and activity.

Caerena is an excellent, well-known forum member; don't you think you should let the staff decide if they need a new mod, and approach her if they do? I'm sure they are not blind to her personality and activity.

Well, yes and no. To be a mod, you need to ask first. The final decision rersts with Ian. It seems the days of appointing premeds (which was done last year to fill the void) is over. However, Cerena has an interview with UBC:) and the new tradition created here last year is that all mods who were appointed as premeds then entered med school. We want this for our wonderful Cerena too. Anything that will help!;)

Ian will do whatever he will do and this forum is excellent. I think this thread confirms that Cerena should be the next mod. In my experience, the obvious sometimes needs to be said.

Archived