Premed 101 Forums

Stipulations around Graduate GPA

Off the applicant manual:

Applicants with a completed graduate degree will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of this calculation. In the event that an applicant has multiple years with graded courses within their graduate program, the graduate degree GPA will be calculated using the weights of the individual courses.

I have two questions about this: (apologies if it's been discussed, but I can't find this anywhere on these boards, in the blog, or manual. Additionally, I did not want to contact admissions directly because I figured they'd be extremely busy with applications at the moment)

1.) Are there stipulations surrounding the inclusion of the entire grad degree as a full-time year (particularly in regards to a thesis-based program)? (i.e. min. courses per term in addition to thesis, etc.) - I ask because I have 4 graded courses scattered throughout two years of my thesis-based grad program.

2.) If I were to do an extra "unclassified" year of 4 courses a term (mostly upper-level, maybe 1 or 2 100-level courses) AFTER the conclusion of my grad degree, would UofC admissions include this as one of the years for the GPA calculation as well?

Thanks for all comments

Hey there, I had similar circumstances so I had these questions answered by the admissions team:

For the graduate degree they don't differentiate between course or thesis-based programs, that's why they take the entire degree as one full year of study. Therefore, the four courses you completed will be used as one full-time year, despite the fact they were scattered throughout your program.

For an unclassified year of study, they will only include the GPA in the calculation if you complete at least 24 credits in an 8 month period. So since you are planning to complete 4 courses a term, that would qualify as a full time year and thus be entered into the GPA calculation.

Archived