Premed 101 Forums

Question for everyone

Guest SillyGirl

Guest SillyGirl

OK Ive been reading alot of med school websites but they really dont seem to address my concern

I will be starting University next year in January, not September due to finishing at a different time than other high school students.

Will I be disqualified from applying to alot of schools in my third year based on when I am starting

You see I will complete the following courses in this timeline:

Jan-May 2003 3 full credits (6 courses)

May-Aug 2003 2 full credits (4 courses)

Sept -May 5 2003/2004 5 full credits (10 courses)

summer 2003 study MCAT / research perhaps

then apply during Sept to May 2003/2004 year

However since I'm starting in Jan I wont have two full years (from sept to may) with 5 courses

But in total I will have 10 full credits and will have 15 by the time i'm done.

Sorry, I know this question is straight out of hell, but any help would be appreciated.

(BTW the reason I am fast tracking is that I took about 4 years out btw grade 12 and OAC's to work with an international youth organization -best experience of my life, best experience of my life. When I left I had 60's in my grade 12 courses, in oac's I will finish with a 98% average.....I hope they dont look at grade 12 marks for university....anyways thats another story and I've bugged everyone enough.

Thank you kindly

SillyG

Guest browser

Probably the best thing to do is to contact the meds admissions dept for this, but my feeling is that they don't like summer credits. As you may have already seen on the other threads, there are many "mature applicants", so even if you get in a few years late it's not a big deal.

It looks like from your post that you won't finish high school until winter of this year. How do you know for sure you will get 98% on your OACs and not 99% or 97%?

Guest clinicalchief

Definitly talk to the schools you are planning to apply to. It's okay to seek general advice but in the end it may be different at each school. Good luck.

Guest tina

I just want to say congrats on your academic achievement. A 98% average?!? With those grades, you could get into any UG program and keep with your study habits and you are bound to get high marks for med school.

Well, being a high school student myself, I really don't have a clue how to go about your situation. Sorry about that... but i would love to hear about your year off and the organization you worked with.

Guest SillyGirl

Thanks I really appreciate the advice and kind words.

If anybody else has anymore advice I would really appreciate it. I have contacted some of the schools but alot of the secrateries who handle the phones really didnt know what the answer was (thank god they dont make the decisions, I hope....eek)

Browser I have just completed my OAC's but I have elected to work from sept to Jan to save money for living/school expenses. I have been accepted to Mac and UofT, and I have chosen to go to Mac.

Thanks again

Archived