Premed 101 Forums

Med School Course Pre-Reqs

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering about course prereqs for some schools here in Canada. Being from an Electrical Engineering background; I have pretty much none of the course requirements (for the schools that do require them).

Here's a rough list that I've compiled;

General Chemistry (6 credits)

• University of British Columbia
  • University of Ottawa
  • Queen's University
  • Universit of Toronto
  • University of Alberta
  • McGill University
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • University of Calgary (Only Recommended)

Organic Chemistry

• University of Ottawa
  • Queen's University
  • University of Alberta
  • McGill University

General Biology (6 credits)

• University of Ottawa
  • Queen's University
  • Universit of Toronto
  • University of Alberta
  • McGill University

Physics (6 credits)

• University of Alberta
  • McGill University

Biochemistry (6 credits)

• University of Ottawa
  • University of Alberta (only 3 credits required)
  • McGill University
  • University of Manitoba

English (6 credits)

• University of Alberta
  • Memorial University

Having a bachelors and masters of Electrical and Computer Engineering only left me with pretty much 6.0 credits in Physics (Engineering Mechanics - Statics and Dynamics / I'm not even sure if they would accept that... but it is essentially the same material covered). I have 3 credits in Chemistry but still need to take the second half of the full credit course. So I'm signing up for essentially all these courses next year before applying (through either local universities; or online schools such as Thompson Rivers University). Will these course grades be counted towards my GPA calculation?

Also does anybody have any experience with doing course audits with universities? I want to make sure that I'm signing up for the appropriate courses (that infact they accept the course I'm signing up to do) and also to confirm with my existing transcripts to which courses I need to take to meet the prereqs (for example that Engineering Mechanics class). I would hate to think that I'm spending all that time and effort (not to mention money) on taking these classes part time while I work, if at the end of the day I'm missing something.

Thanks,

J

Just a side note, Ottawa doesn't strictly require any one specific chemistry, it requires 2 years of general/organic/biochemistry. So if you do a full year of general and a full year of biochemistry, organisc isn't required.

And Queen's doesn't require organic either (according to the OMSAS 2012 instruction booklet) or any other specific course (ie. general chemistry) it just says one of physical science, one of biological science, one of humnities.

Toronto is the same, it doesn't specifically require General biology or general chemistry, just two FCE of life science (again, according to OMSAS 2012 booklet)

To answer your actual question (one of them anyways) a course taken distance (TRU, Athatbasca etc) will be counted the same as any other course for GPA purposes, as long as it is part of a full time semester (step-april, 5FCE). If it isn't part of a full time semester, it will count as fulfilling a pre-req but may not count towards GPA, depending on the school.

Archived