Premed 101 Forums

autobiographical sketch/us med schools

Guest mmk

Hi, first of all I want to say that this is a really good site and alot of my questions have already been answered. So keep it up!

I'm applying either next year or the year after to medical schools and i know that the autobiographical essay is really important. Since I really want to go to mac, this question is more geared to anyone at mac med shool. I've heard its really hard to get into mac unless you've been the president of the university or something since marks aren't really imporant. I've done research/volunteer at hospitals/taught class/worked as a camp councillor, been execs on several clubs and stuff like that. My question is would all that be enough or should do more and if so what else.

My second question is more general for everyone. what are my chances of getting in to an american medical school. If I get in, will I be able to come back to Cananda? Anyone have any reccomendations, I live in ontario so i guess some where close by.

I think thats it for now....

thanks

Guest Ole Gunnar

"...would all that be enough or should do more and if so what else. "

You should run for school president, do varsity football, swimming, ice hockey, and particularly, water polo.

Guest mying

Don't be fooled by the low *required* GPA. Unless you're one of the "special applicants" (ie, you saved an African country when you were 16 (yes that's an exaggeration and I know it)) marks do matter.

Mac sends you a sort of breakdown for how you scored against the other applicants based on your written responses/autobiographical sketch and based on your marks. In two years of application, I scored high in the written/sketch part, and couldn't cut it in the grades. :)

Just clearing up a common myth.

Guest Lawgirl79

But, the stats do show that the majority of people accepted at Mac have GPAs in the 3.3-3.59 range. So, grades, while important, aren't AS important as they are at other schools. I think the autobiographical essay is the most important part of your application, because when they first evaluate the application, that's all the reviewers see. GPA, sketch, etc only come later.

Guest Liana

If your marks are stellar, you can get away with having merely a strong autobiog submission.

If your marks are average or low, you'll have to have a superhumanly strong submission. So marks still do count.

What you do is important, but what's more important is how you write about your achievements. If you are able to portray any random activity as being a superhuman achievement, then it will certainly increase your chances. Another thing you may want to look into is finding some activity that is unusual or unique,s o that you can stand out when compared to other applicants.

Archived