Premed 101 Forums

Persuing a different type of undergraduate studies.

Guest lily

Guest lily

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what is everyone's opinion about persuing an alternative type of undergraduate studies. I'm currently finishing my first year at UfT and in the process of selecting my majors. A friend of mine had recommened that I consider other types of studies such as pharmacy or optometry . He said that within the same period everyone is getting a Bachelor, I could already finish pharmacy or optometry and hence would be able to work as soon as I come out without encountering much of the problem that many students who finish undergraduate without professional school do. How much of is this true? I know that having an undergraduate bachelor is favourable, particularly if you prefer to enter graduate school, but would a pharmacist/optometry degree not be look upon with similar interest? Thanx ahead for any comment or advice you might have.

Guest Liana

I'm not a med student, and I have no inside understanding of the admissions process, but from my understanding, anything that will help you stand out from the hordes of other applicants is a bonus.

The important thing to decide is what you want to do. Obviously medicine is a goal, but if you put that dream on a shelf for a moment, what would you like to do if you don't get into medicine, or what area of medicine would you like to focus on? If you could see yourself dispensing pills, or examining eyes for 40 years, then look into it. If you think you would like to do medical research in pharmacology, or be an opthalmologic surgeon, again, check out the specialties. Provided you have the minimum GPA, and have completed the prerequisite courses, having completed specialization in this area is something that will make you stand out against a sea of applicants with the "standard" bio sci undergrad and hospital volunteering activities. However, you would need to be able to justify to the admissions committee why you pursued this professional pathway and how it relates to your goal of medicine.

That said, don't go through one of these pathways just to do something different. If you're not interested in the subject matter, you may die of boredom. You'll still have to complete prerequisite courses, and I'm not sure whether these professional programs are classified as undergraduate study (I'd assume they are, but you'd need to double check). Most schools require you complete 3 or 4 years of undergraduate study. Most of the schools in Ontario have prerequisities than can be fulfilled in first year, or summers thereafter, but organic chemistry is required at some schools, especially in other provinces. Not only that, but the marks that are used to determine whether you will be admitted or receive an interview are composed of your undergraduate marks. This means that the medical schools will consider the marks you obtain in pharmacy or optometry school and consider them on the same scale as all other applicants. You may want to look into how difficult it is to get an 80%+ mark in these professional schools, as that could also work against you.

The benefits of doing a professional program are great. It gives you a unique experience in the healthcare field, and you may be able to take a few years off to work at a high income level before entering medical school, if money is a problem. However, if it's not something you would like to end up doing for the rest of your life, or if it's not a "detour" you can justify to the medical admissions committee, then you should seriously consider your decision.

Guest Liana

Oh yeah, and if you're interested in pursuing grad studies, then you should stick with the traditional bachelors programs. Entering a professional school will limit your grad studies options to that particular field, but you can always do research in, say, pharmacology, with a bachelors in, say, bio sci.

Guest clinicalchief

I'm assuming you want to go to medical school? Anyway, there are a couple of reasons to my knowledge why most do not do pharmacy, opt, nursing etc before medical school.

1. It may be difficult to score well on the MCAT if you do not take a year organic chemistry, and maybe a couple more upper level science courses, ie. biochem, which would be taken in 2nd or 3rd year in a science program. However, in another program like you are considering, it will probably be very difficult to fit these courses into your schedule, or at all.

2. If you read Ian's Q&A, you know what I will say next. Adcoms may frown upon the fact that you entered a professional program with no intention to enter that career once graduated. This way, there is one (or more) less pharmacist heading into the field to practice, a position who many may have died to get at during the admissions process, since pharmacy is competitive to get into.

However, I have heard of these students getting into med. before. The admissions process is much like a crapshoot, but I hope this helps.

Guest clinicalchief

I'm assuming you want to go to medical school? Anyway, there are a couple of reasons to my knowledge why most do not do pharmacy, opt, nursing etc before medical school.

1. It may be difficult to score well on the MCAT if you do not take a year organic chemistry, and maybe a couple more upper level science courses, ie. biochem, which would be taken in 2nd or 3rd year in a science program. However, in another program like you are considering, it will probably be very difficult to fit these courses into your schedule, or at all.

2. If you read Ian's Q&A, you know what I will say next. Adcoms may frown upon the fact that you entered a professional program with no intention to enter that career once graduated. This way, there is one (or more) less pharmacist heading into the field to practice, a position who many may have died to get at during the admissions process, since pharmacy is competitive to get into.

However, I have heard of these students getting into med. before. The admissions process is much like a crapshoot, but I hope this helps.

I'm not too sure about optometry, but I was once considering doing my undergraduate in paharmacy. My mom is a pharmacist. It is a pretty interesting route especially moneywise, since you'd be able to pay for med school easier than most. However these are the reasons I decided against it:

1) You still have to take at least one year of undergrad to apply to pharmacy, which means your total "undergrad" will be 5 years. (i'm not sure about optometry, but you probably do need to start out in a general undergrad.)

2) It really restricts what you can and cannot take in your undergrad= lots of chemistry and no real electives. This was my real big reason. The Bio-med degree I'm in now just looked sooooo much more interesting I couldn't give it up.

3) It is a lot more work than a conventional undergrad, and would make it very difficult to get your work/volunteer/extra curricuars and study for MCATs, etc, etc while doing pharmacy. (Although you would still get your organic chem in there since its needed for pharmacy).

4) It is more expensive than a conventional undergrad

5) As clinicalcheif said, most adcoms do frown upon you having taken one proffessional school for the sole purpose of getting into another.

In addition to that, the adcoms for pharmacy will also not like the fact that you're going into this professional program just to get into med school. (I know you probably wouldn't tell them that, but things like that have a way of coming accross anyway).

6) In addition to that pharmacy is still not that easy to get into. (You need experience, references, good application, there's an interview, etc) It would be like applying for meds. And then afterwards you'd actually have to apply for meds.

It's a lot of work to get into a proffession. Especially if you don't really want to do it.

Having said all that, I've known many people who have successfully done this, and then went to med school. It can be done. So if you don't like any of my reasons for not going in...... I still do agree that it is a neat alternative to a regular undergrad, and there's a bonus at the end.

Guest utapp

I am doing a coop degree at Waterloo. I alternate between four months of school and four months of work. Technically it does add a year to your undergrad education...but, you get 2 years of actual work experience and the same amount of school. And, if I get into UT this fall it will take nolong than an normal four year undergrad to get into med...plus if I don't get in I'll just finish my degree and reapply for next year.

Archived