Premed 101 Forums

Masters Epidemiology/Biostatistics?

I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard that Epi MSc's are hard to get into. From my understanding, Epi and Biostats are different degrees although there is large overlap. If you do an Epi MSc, you are an epidemiologist (some who studies the incidence and prevalence of disease in large populations and with detection of the source and cause of epidemics of infectious disease) and you use stats in many scenarios (hence you are sort of a "biostatian" as well). I see epi as biostats specialized in disease.

Also, I had a prof in undergrad that worked for Health Canada and she talked about a hiring program for people with MSc's in Epi. You had to pass a very rigorous test that included a stats test that was quite difficult. They had 16 spots but could only fill 1 since only 1 kid passed the tests!

This is all incidental info so take it for what it is!

I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard that Epi MSc's are hard to get into. From my understanding, Epi and Biostats are different degrees although there is large overlap. If you do an Epi MSc, you are an epidemiologist (some who studies the incidence and prevalence of disease in large populations and with detection of the source and cause of epidemics of infectious disease) and you use stats in many scenarios (hence you are sort of a "biostatian" as well). I see epi as biostats specialized in disease.

Also, I had a prof in undergrad that worked for Health Canada and she talked about a hiring program for people with MSc's in Epi. You had to pass a very rigorous test that included a stats test that was quite difficult. They had 16 spots but could only fill 1 since only 1 kid passed the tests!

Rofl at a difficult test to get into Health Canada.

I've consulted for them for about 4 years along with PHAC and i doubt there are that many who could pass anything remotely resembling rigorous. Cognitive thought isnt necessarily high on a government checklist for employment

Are you referring to the field epi program? I don't know about the test but references and professional experience are probably more important.

Archived