Premed 101 Forums

Help, worth appealing!?

e_is_hv

Hi All,

I'd really like your guys opinion on this. I applied to Neurology for residency. I thought I was a competitive applicant for sure - I did 10 weeks of Neurology, and thought I had solid reference letters. I also did 4 weeks at my home school, where I volunteered to be on call, and thought I got along great with the residents etc (one of them wrote an extra reference letter for me).

Today I found out I have been pre-interview rejected from my home school, where I did 4 weeks of Neuro. I was really quite speechless. I would have guessed that was my safest spot, and have been invited at other schools. I thought there was a bit of an unspoken rule about interviews where you a) did electives and B) your home school.

Do you guys think this is somehow worth appealing or enquiring about? Does anyone have any other situations like this, and what did they do?

And, just out of curiousity, does anyone know if something freakish happened to the neurology applicant pool this year?

Many, many thanks guys.

I don't think there's much harm in asking for an interview regardless. Sometimes they will give you one if you specifically ask (this has worked for me!). Having said that, I also got the "regrets" email from a school where (1) I did a 2 week elective and (2) my elective preceptor called me a "terrific student" who "will do well in anything" in my evaluation. Said elective preceptor is also on the CaRMS selection committee.

Anyway, applying for residency is about applying for jobs, and as with employment searches, there is something to be said for being persistent.

ETA: I actually applied to three programs at my home school and will be interviewing for each of them.

Sorry to hear - that stings. There is a great deal of subjectivity in the CaRMS process, and often it comes down to 'fit.' In most cases, being known as a home or elective applicant does confer an advantage, but it can also backfire if the 'fit' isn't perceived as strong and there are others with shiny glowing applications in the pool to invite for interview. You're definitely not the only (ultimately successful) person who has been rejected pre-interview in this way, so don't despair. There is nothing to lose by inquiring, but I wouldn't get my hopes up unless some strange mistake happened with your invitation. If you're getting a good number of interviews elsewhere, that suggests you are strong on paper - now all you need to do is convey that in person as well. The silver lining is that you are now free to find a home in a program where you do indeed fit in better... and that's very important in residency, especially in the smaller 5 year programs. Good luck.

I had the same thing happen to me. I got along very well with all residents and staff at my home program and had two letters from staff along with one from a very well known preceptor in my prospective field. One of the staff told me that I was the best medical student they had EVER worked with. I busted my a$$ and took loads of extra call and studied harder than I ever had in my life.

After having a small pre-exam and post-rejection break down I have accepted that there was nothing I could do to make myself a better candidate. I will never know why I was not even given the chance to interview but the bottom line is that if they don't want me I don't want them.

Let it go and move on with your best foot forward at all your other interviews.

I will never know why I was not even given the chance to interview but the bottom line is that if they don't want me I don't want them.

Why the hard feelings?

I agree that sometimes it just is a "fit" thing, although simply brushing someone "important" the wrong way may be good enough to kill your chances.

What's the problem with kindly emailing back the PD expressing interest (if it's true), or just kindly asking the residents who went to bat for your after you get in somewhere else?

Feedback is always helpful, even when it hurts. And don't forget that if you stick with the specialty it's likely you'll be working with the same community of physicians in some way in the future. Small world, but it still seems to go round.

Disc: Same slap happened to me, but I'll likely save my questions for the future.

Archived