Premed 101 Forums

Clarification on 2nd undergrad and med

Word of advice- do NOT do a B.Ed.

the jobs promised by recruiters for the program are not there, there is a serious surplus of teachers at all times. The misinformation propagated by the people trying to fill education programs is astounding. Talk to some substitute teachers in the area you want to work in, and figure out if there is any hope of getting a job.

I am not pulling any punches with this post- I know what I'm talking about from dating a person who was a sub teacher for 6 years without getting a job. It's a brutal, below-poverty-level life and I would never recommend it as a career at this point.

Kyla is right. A B.Ed right now is extremely popular. Teacher positions are very limited and highly competitive. I have a friend who completed a B.Ed. in 2009 and she has yet to find a job as a teacher. If you really want a B.Ed. though, don't let that discourage you. Just know that if anything, you might be relegated to administrative positions like my friend. Currently, she's a assistant program coordinator at Ryerson. So if you're comfortable in using the B.Ed. flexibly, then by all means use it as a backup.

As for your other concern, as far as I know, Ontario schools certainly don't count a B.Ed. as a second degree where marks will be used. I'm not entirely sure about UofC and UA, but I'm pretty sure this is the case here as well. You most certainly will have to do a second undergrad degree, or at least start one and do well so you can gun for an early acceptance (if the universities don't require you to finish the second degree).

If you want a good backup, I suggest one of the health certification jobs offered by colleges. Those always seem to be in demand are significantly more safer than a B.Ed.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Archived