Premed 101 Forums

M.Sc. Biostatistics at Dalla Lana (U of T)

Hey I was wondering whether anyone has done this master program at U of T. It would be great if someone can share their experience with me!

I applied to some Ontario med schools this year but I'm also looking at one year master programs as alternatives. I would like to know whether I stand a chance for this master program.

My OMSAS cGPA is about 3.8+, most recent 2 years 3.90, all fullcourseload, but my MCAT is 13, 8, S, 13. 8 in VR all but busted my hopes of getting an interview (only chance left is U of T wGPA is 3.95, but still I would be flagged for my VR).

ECs are mostly the common ones, with some exceptions. Mol bio research (no pub), volunteer hospital, community leader with Canadian Red Cross , built houses in Thailand, was a soldier in the army etc...

I'm currently in my forth year and I know my GPA will improve if I continue to keep up my good work so far, but I still think it is good to pursue something I like if I don't get med. Biostatistics has always been my love and I'm thinking some clinical research in future. I did lots of math and stats during my undergrad and I simply love them! =)

I tried searching for more info about this master program on the web but the website doesn't seem to mention much about it.

Is the biostats program at U of T an ideal program for me? Appreciate if someone who has done similar programs offer some insights.

Thanks a lot and have a wonderful new year! :)

I actually got into this program for the year prior to med school, but had to decline the admission offer as it wasn't going to be funded. If you have the math/stats background, I'd say go for it! In hindsight, I probably could have made more of an attempt to obtain financial aid and/or assistantships, but I guess it turned out okay in the end. Anyway, your background sounds competitive - good luck!

I would contact the school/program for more information, glossy pamphlets and the chance to speak with someone face-face about the program, its opportunities and so on.

I suspect every program would be happy to field questions and arrange some form of contact with current/former students or those knowledgeable in the program (i.e. program coordinator).

Having said that I have dove into some of my post secondary programs with less information than that but in retrospect I wish I had of taken my own advice ... for my first degree anyway :D

Beef

Archived