Premed 101 Forums

Advice/Information

I'm preparing to submit an application this fall. Since I am extremely busy with work I'm trying to do as much as possible, as early as possible, because I don't want to put the application together at the last second. I have a few questions. Does the autobiographical sketch only have to be in point form? I thought I remember seeing a requirement for an essay type submission a while back but can't find it now. What kind of questions do we have to answer as part of the application? Does anyone have a copy of them? Do they change year to year? Any help is much appreciated.

Wow, you are definitely starting early :eek:

OMSAS does have the application available in July I believe so it does give a person 3 months to work on it which I think is sufficient unless you work 120 hours a week and are a single parent of 8 children. I worked 60 hours a week, was in the middle of my masters thesis and still found time to complete my med school application so you will have enough time in you manage your time if you turn off the TV.:D

One thing that you can get ready in the mean time, which I found the most labor intensive, was to get together all of my resumes and CVs up to date and have 'verifiers', people that can verify that you were involved in these activities. Because they ask you do this for activities since the age of 16 for older applicants this can be a bit of a historical hunt looking for contact information for people form years ago and contacting them hoping that they remember you. I was able to kill 5 birds with one stone because the volunteering dept at the hospital I volunteered at for 4 years had a record of my 5 positions I held there so I didnt have to have 5 individual verifiers for each one of people who probably wouldnt remember me anyway, in that case I had the hospital's volunteer department (reception) as the verifier. So working out these details ahead of time can save you oodles of time during crunch time.

As far as the essay questions go, they do change from year to year somewhat though they have been relatively the same the two years I applied. Although I am unsure of whether current applicants, like myself, ticked off electronic boxes on our OMSAS application that may state we are not to divulge the current essay questions, I would feel a bit uneasy just listing off all of the essay questions in case I did :o Perhaps a more liberal person will send them to you via PM :) .

Certainly typical questions like why you wish to study at NOSM and what has prepared you for such a path are to be expected. However in all truth I would recommend waiting until you get the actual essay questions and word limits because we as premeds can go on and on about why we want to go to NOSM but accomplishing that in 750 characters -not WORDS- (including spaces and verifier numbers) is the greatest challenge. So without knowing the exact question, exact number of characters allowed would make it a waste of your time preparing this ahead of time whether or not you get the questions ahead of time or not.

Beef

real beef has given great info....i would say start compiling your verifiers and contacting them. make a list of everything u have done since 16. before i knew that the ABS was a point form list, i started writing an autobigraphy. it was actually kind of fun to do, and it helped me to answer the nosm questions. i gave the autobiography to my 3 references and all of them said it helped them write their letters and rank me.

once u pass july lots of people will be asking questions about OMSAS, and u may make changes to your ABS based on that. and if there is something u leave out of your ABS u can talk about it in your essay answers, or maybe even an interview?

good luck!

Thanks for the information. I already started to compile verifiers and on a biographical sketch. Unfortunately I thought my university gpa was higher than it actually is. I only have a 3.4. I've lived and worked in northern Ontario for close to six years but I'm not francophone or aboriginal. I'll have to do more research as from what I've read so far my chances with such a low gpa would be quite slim.

Any idea of the likelihood of getting an interview with a 3.4? I've scoured the site and it's difficult to say. Also, I've been working in Thunder Bay for just over 5 years, would that be a strong context score or just barely qualify for anything? I spent the rest of my life living in large cities.

Any idea of the likelihood of getting an interview with a 3.4? I've scoured the site and it's difficult to say. Also, I've been working in Thunder Bay for just over 5 years, would that be a strong context score or just barely qualify for anything? I spent the rest of my life living in large cities.

Hi Voyageur,

I had applied in 2007 after only 1 year of living in the North and had my application reviewed by NOSM staff member as I was disappointed that I didnt even receive an interview. I was told my application was strong:rolleyes: , as is the case with almost all NOSM med applicants, but that a glaring weakness was my context. I was considered to be a non-Northern Ontario resident hence the weakness of this score. I asked how long before I would benefit from my current place of residence and he replied 5 years in NO would benefit from context score and at 10 years I would get further increased scoring.

So after that I decided to not apply until I reached that minimum of 5 years in Northern Ontario.

So your context score and consequently your application will benefit from your 5 years in Thunder Bay but that amount of time will not max out your context score. Some people have lived here all of their lives which will likely garner them more points, and I believe that where you went for high school and community size may also somehow factor into your context score, etc.

I am just pleased now that my context score is not a fat '0', which puts you at great disadvantage when everything else is equal amongst applications.

Good luck!

Beef

Any idea of the likelihood of getting an interview with a 3.4? I've scoured the site and it's difficult to say. .

Well the class profile is a good start ...

http://www.nosm.ca/classprofiles/

As you can see the class average of admitted students is 3.66-3.72 over the years. So of course there are students with above that and students admitted with less than that. I suspect that students below the average GPA really shine in other areas of their application. So if you are not prepared to do a second degree (New GPA) or do a masters (+0.2 on GPA) than you have to be prepared to shine like a midnight star in everything else and nail the interview.

While you are preparing your application you may want to research and explore some of these GPA boosting options as I sense you are not very confident with the competitiveness of your GPA.

Beef

Thanks for all the helpful information. I've already started to give thought to a second degree or masters, it's just something I would obviously prefer to avoid. With that being said, I am well aware my gpa is rather low and based on yor response I won't be getting full context marks either. I'm a mature applicant with a non traditional background so I'm hoping I can differentiate myself in the abs and then rock the interviews. If no luck then I'll obviously have to start a second degree or masters to have a realistic chance at success. I think you mentioned somewhere else you did a distance masters with LU. How long did that take?

Voyageur:

Just to give you a little more info....

I had about the same GPA as you (lower, actually), and I am currently a NOSM student in TB. NOSM is not nearly so Gpa anal as some of the other schools, but they do need to base interview offers on something. I don't know the exact formula they use for each section but it is 1/3 gpa, 1/3 context and 1/3 EC's before the interview.

I was born and raised in Northern Ontario, francophone so I am assuming my context 1/3 was very high.

NOSM places much more emphasis on long-term EC's than the one-time items. So stuff you've been doing all your life (and still do) will give you an advantage. I had a lot of stuff (playing guitar, gymnastics, choir) that I did most of my life, but didn't have any 'medical' type volunteering at all. I assume my EC 1/3 was mddle-high.

You will get 'points' for maturity and being out in the workforce, as NOSM seems to like that.

Don't make even a minor spelling mistake on your app. They mention it on their website for a reason, and they mean it.

The trick with NOSM is to get the interview, (which is actually quite a lot of fun) and go from there.

....and you won't know unless you apply.

I think you mentioned somewhere else you did a distance masters with LU. How long did that take?

Quite a while ... it took me ~4 years part time. I figured I should do something productive and active to improve my app, while I waited for my context score to passively grow with the passage of time. I am not much of a passive person so couldnt stand to sit around for 4 years doing the 'same ole same ole' :)

Jbm10: Great info for the OP!! as well as all of us other NOSM wannabes :D

Beef

Thanks for all the information, it's much appreciated and motivating. The encouragement from others on this forum is refreshingly positive. I definitely will apply this year to both nosm and probably mcmaster as well. Depending on the response I get I will make a decision in regards to upgrading my education.

Voyageur,

With the information you have provided I would encourage you to consider a 2nd degree over a masters program. Masters would add 0.2 to your GPA giving you a 3.6. Although better, this is still below average. The option of a 2nd degree, if you get better marks, can substantially improve beyond 3.6. I would encourage you to get in contact with academic advisers from different universities and have them assess your current degree for transfer credits into another program. Remember: because you are a mature student, you only need a 3 year program!!! Different school and different programs have different transfer credit policies. If you find the right match - a 2nd degree may in fact only take you 1 year to complete. Summary: a 2nd degree can be shorter and result in better chances at NOSM than a masters.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I've already started to give thought to a second degree or masters, it's just something I would obviously prefer to avoid. With that being said, I am well aware my gpa is rather low and based on yor response I won't be getting full context marks either. I'm a mature applicant with a non traditional background so I'm hoping I can differentiate myself in the abs and then rock the interviews. If no luck then I'll obviously have to start a second degree or masters to have a realistic chance at success. I think you mentioned somewhere else you did a distance masters with LU. How long did that take?

• 1 month later...

Hi Voyageur: Thanks for asking those questions, and the intro! I will also be applying this fall and had similar thoughts. I share the early bird urge. It does seem like a lot to get together!

Taiga: I didn't know the AB was point form. (AGH!!!) But I like the idea of including an autobiography those folks writing reference letters. Great hint, thanks for sharing!

Beef: I'm blaming the fact that I became a registered user on you! Your posts are so informative. And then I read one about lurkers just taking and not giving... and agreed, it's only fair. I'm happy to pay forward ideas in exchange for the help gained just by going through the posts on the board. Those of you lurkers reading this - sign up!!! It's a great way to learn, and demonstrate your community mindedness... ;)

I guess a short intro:

I always wanted to apply for med school, but never thought it was possible until I discovered NOSM.

I'm coming towards the end of an arts degree (social justice based, disability major) which I've been chipping away at while working full time. So far I have a 3.84 GPA, but still have to do a thesis next year. (Yes, my final year of undergrad is a mandatory thesis! :rolleyes: ) I was born and raised, and attended school in North Bay up until I was 18yoa and then moved with family to a rural town in the Ottawa Valley. (Scores a 55 on the rural index, but don't know if 3 years will count.) I'm hoping that having grown up in the North will give me a good context. :-S I moved to Ottawa in 2007 after some huge medical and disability challenges following an accident. (I couldn't access health care in my little town. Sound familiar? :) ) I eventually rehabbed to the point of being able to continue schooling, go back and finish a high school diploma (online ed!), obtain a college diploma (mostly online again, except for 4 practicums!) and then worked in developmental services both privately and in group homes, day programs supporting wonderful clients, and did some time in a non profit org as a volunteer co-ord for people w. disabilities. From 2010 onwards I've been working in social assistance. I have several years of ongoing volunteer activities... pediatric palliative care, committee organizer for an event that raises funds for a local children's hospital, volunteer education re: disability workshops, etc.

My dream is to return to the North. (There is nothing like the beauty of the forests and lakes of Northern Ontario.) I want to work and live in a smaller community, and contribute to improving access to and quality of health-care in the North.

We'll see where things go. There was a point where I never thought I'd get a high school diploma, then didn't think I could do college but tried, and then I decided to go out on a limb and take a shot at university. I honestly thought I couldn't do it, but I knew I had to try, and I surprised myself. At least I'm persistent! Here's to dreaming bigger dreams! :)

BTW - Good luck to all 2012 hopefuls interviewing at the end of this month! I can just imagine the anticipation. From reading the board the last two days, there are quite a few talented folks!

Hi Voyageur: Thanks for asking those questions, and the intro! I will also be applying this fall and had similar thoughts. I share the early bird urge. It does seem like a lot to get together!

Taiga: I didn't know the AB was point form. (AGH!!!) But I like the idea of including an autobiography those folks writing reference letters. Great hint, thanks for sharing!

Beef: I'm blaming the fact that I became a registered user on you! Your posts are so informative. And then I read one about lurkers just taking and not giving... and agreed, it's only fair. I'm happy to pay forward ideas in exchange for the help gained just by going through the posts on the board. Those of you lurkers reading this - sign up!!! It's a great way to learn, and demonstrate your community mindedness...

I guess a short intro:

I always wanted to apply for med school, but never thought it was possible until I discovered NOSM.

I'm coming towards the end of an arts degree (social justice based, disability major) which I've been chipping away at while working full time. So far I have a 3.84 GPA, but still have to do a thesis next year. (Yes, my final year of undergrad is a mandatory thesis! :rolleyes: ) I was born and raised, and attended school in North Bay up until I was 18yoa and then moved with family to a rural town in the Ottawa Valley. (Scores a 55 on the rural index, but don't know if 3 years will count.) I'm hoping that having grown up in the North will give me a good context. :-S I moved to Ottawa in 2007 after some huge medical and disability challenges following an accident. (I couldn't access health care in my little town. Sound familiar? ) I eventually rehabbed to the point of being able to continue schooling, go back and finish a high school diploma (online ed!), obtain a college diploma (mostly online again, except for 4 practicums!) and then worked in developmental services both privately and in group homes, day programs supporting wonderful clients, and did some time in a non profit org as a volunteer co-ord for people w. disabilities. From 2010 onwards I've been working in social assistance. I have several years of ongoing volunteer activities... pediatric palliative care, committee organizer for an event that raises funds for a local children's hospital, volunteer education re: disability workshops, etc.

My dream is to return to the North. (There is nothing like the beauty of the forests and lakes of Northern Ontario.) I want to work and live in a smaller community, and contribute to improving access to and quality of health-care in the North.

We'll see where things go. There was a point where I never thought I'd get a high school diploma, then didn't think I could do college but tried, and then I decided to go out on a limb and take a shot at university. I honestly thought I couldn't do it, but I knew I had to try, and I surprised myself. At least I'm persistent! Here's to dreaming bigger dreams! :)

BTW - Good luck to all 2012 hopefuls interviewing at the end of this month! I can just imagine the anticipation. From reading the board the last two days, there are quite a few talented folks!

Your story is inspiring in many ways Dream Bigger. With the life experience-challenges you have gone through, the work ethic you have and the cGPA you are garnering you will reach you dreams in due time. Keep focused on the goal, dont waiver and you will make it.

Yes growing up in North Bay and doing high school there will be very helpful for your context ... my 5.75 years in the north context score is very jealous of your 18 years worth of context score ;)

I am glad that I was able to convince you become a productive member of this forum. It can be hard to give-share-show your cards when you feel that you have so many worthy 'opponents' vying for the same goal but it is surprising how much others will help you when you share what you know.

I look forward to reading about your application prep as the time gets closer.

Beef

Thanks so much for the encouragement Beef! Your story is a great example of persistence and responsiveness to ensure you'll meet your goal. Reading through, I have a really strong feeling you will be in this year. You're the full package! Just promise, once you're in, you'll drop us a line every now and then about the ins and outs of NOSM med. You know, little tid bits to keep us going!;)

Your story is inspiring in many ways Dream Bigger. Keep focused on the goal, dont waiver and you will make it.

Yes growing up in North Bay and doing high school there will be very helpful for your context ... my 5.75 years in the north context score is very jealous of your 18 years worth of context score ;)

I am glad that I was able to convince you become a productive member of this forum. It can be hard to give-share-show your cards when you feel that you have so many worthy 'opponents' vying for the same goal but it is surprising how much others will help you when you share what you know.

My current status in Ottawa is totally jealous of your current residency up North. :D I've been looking for employment up there so I can return, but it's hard to find something resilient at the moment...

I do wish my degree was a little more balanced. The only traditional-ish classes I've been able to garner in my arts degree is one in Bioethics and a course coming up in Drugs and Human Behaviour. I don't have any organic chem, bio, etc. But I know folks have gotten in with music degrees and other non-trad backgrounds, so I'll start where I am and then work from there.

So true about the, "showing-the-cards" bit. Working in gov't with the contract tenterhooks for years until permanency. At the last big competition a group of us studied together and we all did much better because of that then the folks who kept to themselves. Definitely pays. And isn't it more fun? :D Anxiety loves company.n

Archived