Premed 101 Forums

Word

Guest Yo

What's the easiest undergrad in science to do?

I'm going to Mac this fall for Science and I want good marks.

My brother who's at Western right now for med school told me alot of the dummies in his class took the first year science courses but bombed big time. They ended up in Psychology to try and get better grades. I don't want to be one of these dummies because my brother said these students are stuggling with the science stuff in med school and a good science undergrad background seperates the men from the mice. Psychology would be interesting but I would want to do the science stuff to prove to the schools that I'm no fool and can handle the hard stuff. If I messed up I'll weasel into Psychology like the dummies in my brother's med school class.

Any ideas for good science majours would be welcome. I heard Biochemistry is good.

THANKS A TON

Guest PeterHill0501

Yo,

The word about Psychology may NOT be the WORD...

Talk to mtws and a few others who have tried some of them. Also, don't let other's fool you...Psych has a hard science component to it as well...I did tons of neuroanatomy, brain chemistry, extensive explorations of the visual system from the eye right down to the mechanism is the cortex resposible for the first parts of visual processing.

To clear the air of any misconception...Psyc is easy if you're good at the skills it draws on...like anything else...but there are skills involved...it's not easier than any other discipline (perhaps with the exception of introduction to psych)...it's just different.

Peter

Guest Beaver

Psych courses are filled with tons and tons of fairly complex info. I remember having to spend alot of time with it. In actuality, if I was a psych majour there is no way I would have done as well as I did in the life sciences. The pure sciences are pretty straight forward. Once you understand the material, you can just spit it out on a test and get close to 100%. Psych tends to be a little more of thinking person's game at times and alot of the questions and assignments are more abstract, leaving lots of room for subjective interpretation both from the student's and the grader's point of view.

Your brother is probably referring to people in his class who didn't have the intellectual ability for basic sciences to do well enought to meet the 3.65. They then probably decided to stratregically bone up there marks with the (perceived) more easier pych courses such as child development etc. I personally would have failed those social and development psych courses because it doesn't really interest me. Again you can ask your brother what these folks were up to.

Dont worry about picking something right away, see what you like out of your first year courses and then take it from there, you will do better if you enjoy learning the material. I dont think there is one major that everyone will find easier, so my advice is to take a broad selection of courses and then select based on your performance and interest level.

Guest Liana

Try to go to a school that allows you flexibility to move between programs. Then enrol in a science first year, taking the general science courses, psychology, or any other course that you think truly interests you. Give the courses a year, and decide which ones you find the most interesting and perform the best in. This can be a bit misleading (first year psych will be a lot easier and have a lot broader appeal than upper year psych courses, while first year bio may be dull, and first year chem not reflective of upper years) but it gives you an idea of the mark momentum you can expect. First year courses will give you an idea of how you will perform at a university level in each of these subjects (although not totally accurate, at least more reflective than your grade 12/OAC mark), and may be a better indication of whether you would enjoy the courses. You can easily major in psych or any science as long as you take the intro course in first year.

The most important thing is to choose a major that you find interesting - the good marks will follow. If you're bored with a subject, no matter how easily it is, you'll find it difficult getting yourself to study it.

Archived