Premed 101 Forums

Gen Surg CaRMS interview Tips

Hey guys,

I'm IMG from the UK, but grew up in Canada. I'm a dual citizen, British-Canadian, so I decided to do meds in England.

Anyways, hoping to come back to Canada for General Surgery, be closer to my fam.

I got interviews at Toronto, Ottawa and Western.

What type of questions can I expect? What should I prepare for?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Interviews aren't that bad, mostly just a chance for them to get to know you. Expect lots of questions relating to your application (why you went to england, why you want to come back to canada), lots of questions to see if you understand what you're getting yourself into with a gen surg residency. Just be yourself and answer honestly. goodluck

Hey Tuss, appreciate it.

I've heard stories (in the U.S) that surgery interviews can be quite grilling....like asking you do describe how you would approach doing a lap appy, or demonstrate your suturing skills, etc.

So just curious if CaRMs is like that.

Interviews aren't that bad, mostly just a chance for them to get to know you. Expect lots of questions relating to your application (why you went to england, why you want to come back to canada), lots of questions to see if you understand what you're getting yourself into with a gen surg residency. Just be yourself and answer honestly. goodluck

I was a CaRMS interviewer at 2 different programs, but that was a few years ago. I have not seen that style of interviews. Sometimes the interviewers can get "bored" and try to stir up a little bit of anxiety to keep the day interesting, but for the most part it's fairly mundane.

Make sure you go to any social events associated with the interview - they are as important as the interview itself and it will be noticed if you don't attend.

Also, be sure to research the programs and recognize what the strength's of each are. Research the city as well and think about reasons why you would like to live there. If you are interested in research make sure you are prepared to discuss your interests, and show awareness of the "surgeon scientist" programs that each school offers.

Archived