Premed 101 Forums

Letter Arrived....completely bummed

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Good morning everyone...

Well, here was the text of my letter:

Dear Mr Hill,

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2002-2003 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee. At the present time offers have been made to the top 123 candidates on the basis of their composite score.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list. However, I must inform you, that given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer.

You will be notified by telephone or letter at your permanent address if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September.

As soon as we receive 123 firm acceptances, candidates on the waiting list will be notified.

Although the sequential order of the waiting list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances. For this reason, candidates are requested NOT TO CALL OUR OFFICE for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing.

Yours sincerely,

Richard L. Hebert, M.Sc., Ph.D.,

Assistant Dean, Admissions

RLH/nl

Good luck to all you guys...I hope to see you next year!

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Ah Peter, that truly truly sucks...

I think you know that we were all pulling for you and that we think you are a super great guy.

"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream," said the alchemist.

I know that is true for you Peter, maybe it just isn't time yet...

Melissa

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks ItsmeMelissa,

I appreciate the support once again. I guess it's time to start thinking about doing this again next year! I know where I could have pulled up my socks this year...and, well, it's only another year!

You'll still see me hanging around the boards...it's funny, here's my horoscope for today:

"You will benefit from more involvement with groups or organizations. The people you meet will welcome your ideas and give you some great input as to how to accommplish your goals."

I look forward to continue down this path of learning...listening...and having a kick-A$$ application for next year...feedback, of course, is always welcome!

Peter

Guest Peter Hill Fan

Dear Peter,

It's been said many times before, but I believe that getting into med school has to do with luck to a certain degree.. e.g. who your interviewers are... what kind of mood they're in, how many people they've interviewed, what kind of mood you're in on that one day... Because the interview is so important for UOttawa, there is an even greater chance compared to other schools of your score being subjective..

That being said, there is still a small chance u can get in. If not, there are a lot of people on this board who are rooting for you to get in next year!!!

Cheers and Happy drinking!

Guest utapp

Hey Peter, thanks for sharing the news with us even though it wasn't what you wanted to hear. I guess the planets weren't properly aligned for you this year, but, someone with your drive and background definitely deserves a spot in medicine...make sure you apply again next year.

Guest PeterHill0501

Oh,

I'll definitely being applying again next year! I'm going to attempt to get some feedback from admissions and then start over again...as I've said...this is my goal...I don't give up easily. I have to wonder whether they really want to test my committment to this by seeing if I reapply? Anyway, I'll be back...and I intend on hanging around in here still...there's lots of great info and so many wonderful people...

Thanks utapp...and great luck to you!

Peter

Guest hmsdread

Hey Peter,

So sorry about the news. I really hoped you would get the other version of that letter. You're an asset to these boards, and if an adcomm ever dropped by to see how you interact with people, they'd surely realize the kind of physician you'd make. Good luck with next year, and make sure you pop in here every now and then.

hmsdread

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks hmsdread...I really appreciate the kind word. Well, if this is a test of my committment, they'll find out next year! I've learned a lot about the process and feel fortunate to have received an interview this year...I'll be back and you can be sure I'm still going to be hanging here...I've thoroughly enjoyed the wealth of information and the many amazing people I've met through this forum.

Peter

Guest Liana

That's too bad.. I didn't even apply to Ottawa but I wished I could have you as a classmate!

Perhaps this is a cosmological sign saying that there are more important things for you to achieve in the upcoming year before you tie yourself down to med school. ;)

Guest cheech10

Don't worry about a thing Peter. Your comments on this board have shown that you're a thoughtful, knowledgable, and compassionate individual; exactly the type that Med Schools are looking for. If they didn't realize it this year, I'm sure they won't make the same mistake again next year. Glad to see you've retained that optimistic attitude, and best of luck in the future!

Guest PeterHill0501

Liana, Cheech,

Thanks for the support...perhaps next time one of you guys will be interviewing me... :)

Peter

Guest James Wong

Hey Peter,

If the selection committee could have seen what we see in you, you`d have been admitted already. I`m sorry that we won`t be sitting beside one another in class, but I hope that doesn`t mean that we still can`t dine at that fine Fallafel eatery as we once did!

Don`t forget Peter that you WILL be a doctor someday, it`s just a matter of time. Until then, enjoy the friendships you made at this forum and stay confident.

James

Guest AFib

Peter,

I am sorry to hear of the contents of your letter. The others have already let you know how deserving they all think you are of a medical education, and I would definitely echo those sentiments. You deserve it; there is no question about that.

Best of luck next year.

Guest PeterHill0501

I am completely overwhelmed by all the kinds words...and support continuously extended by all of you.

James, you can count on the fact that we'll continue to get together...after all, how many people will actually tolerate your new schedule!

As for the rest of you...well, what can I say...I've made some great e-friends...and met some of you in person...I'm grateful for having made your acquaintence.

I'll be hanging around here still...empowering myself for the next application session (ouch...I'd probably be a great candidate for some of Hans Selye's adrenal stress research at this point).

Thanks again. I'm terribly disappointed I won't have the opportunity to meet more of you in person at med school this year.

Peter

Guest The Fox Rox

Hey Peter,

Like all the other people, I am very disappointed you did not get in. I dont meet too many people like you - i.e. people I am sure will make great doctors without a doubt. Did you not apply anywhere else??? I hope you will do that next year if you did not do it this year. Its unlikely that more than one school would miss out on you.

Anyways, have solace in the fact that your encouragement and kind words have probably helped many of us get into medical school.

Sending positive brain waves

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks for your reply. Actually, in retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't apply to more schools...if nothing else, for the experience of going through this application process! I will reapply this coming academic year...most likely to more than Ottawa, although, Ottawa is where I would like to go...but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm glad I could at least provide some perspectives that were useful to other people...I have certainly received much info and inspiration from others here as well...and made some great friends in the process...yet another leg in the journey of life...

I've written my interviewers at U of O and asked for feedback with the goal of reapplying this coming year...I'm interested to see whether they will accomodate my request.

Thanks again,

Peter

Guest Beaver

I'm really sorry to hear the bad news Peter. There's so much luck and intangible crap in the process that outstanding people get left out all the time.

The great news is you are a truly exceptional individual and this WILL be recognized eventually. Please apply to more schools, you can't win a craptshoot with just one hand, even awesome people like yourself :)

Guest PeterHill0501

Beav,

Thanks for the note...did you get accepted somewhere?

I'm not sure I believe in the crapshoot thing...I personally believe you can win with one hand...but I will likely apply to more than one school next year just to eliminate that as a factor, should it be one.

I've asked admissions for direct feedback so I can better my application...we'll see what I actually get as a response.

Good luck...I look forward to continuing to interact with you.

P.S. Have you heard of anybody getting a letter from Ottawa indicating they're on the waitlist and are on the 'good' list? I haven't...perhaps this letter is a way of managing expectations...wishful thinking!

Pete

Guest Beaver

Peter Go down there and get the feedback straight from the horse's mouth before they destory your file. Its really important to know what went wrong!!!

Actually Peter, I was really lucky and this morning I recevied my acceptance letters from Mac and UofT. On Friday I got rez info from Queens, and apparently that means I'm accepted.

Peter if you need any help at all with the application process next year just let me know when it gets closer to the time. I'm no expert AT ALL, but whatever I did seem to gel with the interviewers.........unless of course its plain dumb luck. Oh well I can tell you how I did things if that would help at all.

Good luck Peter, again I'm sorry about the way things turned out for this year

Guest MDCY

Peter,

I know just how you feel as I got rejected by UofC med school. I didn't even make it to their waiting list. I know being a doctor is what I want to be too so we'll just have to try harder to get in next year. As for me, I'm looking outside of Canada now for med school but we'll see how that pans out. If it doesn't, I'll reapply next year but to more schools too. I felt bitter initially but I'm thankful for the interview experience I received too. I hope to see you around this forum some more.

Cheers!

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks for the posts...

Beaver: I've emailed two of my three interviewers (the third's email address was not available) to ask for feedback with the goal of improving my application for the next academic year...I have yet to hear back from anybody.

MDCY: Ya, it's disappointing...but it's life...perhaps it's just part of the test. I'll be reapplying...again, this isn't a wish...it's a reality...it's just a matter of when...assuming I can get in before I'm 65 lol.

Peter

Guest medicator007

Peter,

After all that I have seen you post on this forum, the help/support that you have given to me and others I am really sorry that the letter didn't come in the "good list" form. I was really rooting for you.

As you have said many times before you goal/destiny/dream is to become a doctor and i'm glad that you will be reapplying for admission next year. keep the dream in sight, work towards it and I have no doubt that you will succeed! In the meantime though, please hang around the boards to dispense your wisdom!

If you are planning on coming into Montreal anytime soon give me a shout at my email and I will try and arrange some time on the ambulance. There is nothing to take your mind off of the med application stress like driving a $150,000 rig lights and sirens through the streets of Montreal, trust me, its the what kept me sane this past year.

Keep the dream Peter!

Medicator

Guest medwant2b

Hi Peter: I just wanted to add my voice to the many above… I think you should have made it in. I've read lots of your posts; they convinced me you'd be one of the ones celebrating an acceptance. I am glad you're planning to have another go at it; if it doesn't work out this year.

Guest Feathers McGraw

Peter, you're one of the nicest people who post at this forum, and certainly one of the best. I can tell just from reading your posts that you're an incredibly caring, sympathetic individual and that your ability to dispense advice is amazing!

The people in admissions at Ottawa must be a bunch of damn fools not to have accepted you at their school. Consider it their loss... because in my opinion, you certainly deserve it. Don't give up the dream, keep at it!

Peter,

Any chance that you will be considering other schools besides Ottawa for next year? I am turning down my Ottawa acceptance and wish my spot can go to you.

D

Archived