Premed 101 Forums

Letter Arrived....completely bummed

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Peter, just want to add my condolences to the long list accumulating here. As has been said, you truly have been an asset to the community here. I have full confidence next years admissions cycle will bring better news.

Guest PeterHill0501

Wow,

I know you all have said wonderful things about me...I can barely stop the tears from rolling down my face as I read this thread...those of you who are accepted this year will make INCREDIBLE doctors...those of you who aren't, like me, will also make INCREDIBLE doctors...but just not for another year! Following is a short note to each of you...to close down this thread...it's getting embarrasing! If you guys really feel strongly...you can all reject Ottawa...and they'll have to admit me this year as they won't have enough good candidates for the list! Alternately, you could petition Ottawa adcoms...to move me up the list... :)

ItsmeMelissa - When I first saw your user name I found it very funloving...you remind me of one of my closest friends who is always cheerful, intelligent and full of support and kindness. I particularly enjoyed your quote...if it is true I will eventually get in...this is the best conspiracy theory I've heard...and I most certainly have the desire...maybe if I apply three more times you will be my 4th year interviewer? :)

Peter Hill Fan - Peter Hill Fan...thanks for your support...I suspect this isn't the name you usually log in as :) but I sense by your writing that we've interacted before. Is the interview process subjective? I think it inevitably has to be...any time people are involved in making decisions based on subjective qualities like "motivation", "ability to succeed", degree of "compassion" and "communication skills" there has to be subjectivity. I would say, the one area I would like to see improved in the process, if I'm ever in a position to do so, would be to somehow have the process provide more than a 40 minute slice and an autobiographical sketch to serve as data for the interviewers. While I realize I didn't get a flat out rejection...and that there is still a small chance...I have to be realistic that for this year...that chances are so minimal...almost non-existant...but it sure would be nice to get a call...and if I do, I'll be there in a flash!

utapp - Thanks for the support. We haven't had a great deal of time to get to know one another but I assume we will get to do so in the upcoming year if you hang around the boards some more. Your observation that someone with my drive deserves a spot is flattering...but I'm not sure that's sufficient...It's kinda like the student who studies like mad over a long period of time but still manages to fail the exam...I think I need more than drive and will use the next few months to figure that one out.

hmsdread - hmsdread...you know, this would be an incredible way for adcoms to really learn "who" people are. They should create a site and do away with anonymity and make it mandatory that people interact for a year prior to having an interview. This would definitely provide them with a bit better of a sample of who the people with the "right qualities" are. It provides a really nice means of sharing your qualities over an extended period of time. I guess, what I'm faced with however, is that they won't likely do this and I've got to figure out how to get myself across in the 40 minute slice...

liana - Liana...you have been most interesting to interact with...you're really intelligent and have your feet on the ground. I can't remember whether you have received an offer this year...but I hope you have...you'll make an incredible doctor. I hope you're right about potentially having more important thingto accomplish this year. One thing is for sure...I've learned a lot through the process...and it probably will influence something I do this year...as an example...I'll be volunteering for St. John's Ambulance to try to increase my volunteer section as I didn't have a chance due to having to take care of my children through my masters and beyond. I look forward to continuing to interact with you.

cheech10 - Cheech...thanks for the extremely kind words and continued support. You too are thoughtful, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimism is so important in life...without having a positive outlook, especially in times that don't go as one plans...would, in the past, have been my demise. I'm an eternal optimist...it's the way I choose to be...I can't stand "eeoyre's"...they just bring everyone down. I prefer to contribute hope and inspiration.

James wong - James, what can I say...I'll miss sitting next to you and MN this year too. I can honestly say that I'll always remember you...you accompanied me through the first complete body dissection I've ever seen in person...this memory will be forever burnt into my neural pathways. I will be taking you, Mike and MN's offer for advice/feedback prior to my next interview. By the way, we're still going to have to work on that "eatery" thing..."eatery" is not the kind of place you should admit frequenting...but yes, we'll have to go out for a nice meal sometime!

Afib - Afib...I also have a feeling you log in under a different name most often...anyway, thanks for believing that I deserve a spot. One thing is for sure...the people who do get spots have worked incredibly hard and have done the right stuff to get it...those are the people who truly deserve their chance.

The Fox Rox - The Fox Rox...you make me blush as well. I'm so glad that my contribution in this forum has been perceived by many as being helpful and has facilitated in some way...I hope you're right about next year. And, even if I don't get in next year...if somehow I am facilitating individuals to get a spot I have also contributed to medicine somehow...haven't I?

Beaver - Beaver...you're one of the people who kept me coming back here. You've always held your own ground and voiced unique opinions...stood for what you believe in. I am the same way...I believe in voicing my internalized beliefs, even if they go against the group of the norm...this is where creativity and innovation come from....if everyone thought the same way no significant advances would be made and life would be really dull. Crap shoot? I'm not so sure it's a crap shoot...I think it can, from the outside, look like a crapshoot...but I have faith that there is some method to the madness, however subjective it is. I'm pretty good at figuring out puzzles...this is just another one of those to be challenged by. By the way, you do have the nicest tail in the forum...you're girlfriend has a really nice furry back to match yours (eeeeewwww). Keep in touch Beav...I want to know what happens for you this fall.

MDCY - I was really sorry to hear that you didn't get an offer this year MDCY...like you, I am also thankful for the interview experience. When you really look at it objectively...in the case of U of O, there were 2011 applicants and out of those 496 got interviews...including me...I feel very fortunate and accomplished for even having received an interview. Perhaps this is a test...if it is...reapplying next year should, for goodness sake, convince them I'm serious about this!

medicator007 - Thanks for the continued support. It was nice interacting with someone from Montreal again. Man, I really miss Montreal. I'll be applying to McGill next year, for sure. With respect to the dream...I won't have to work hard to 'keep' it...it is embedded in my thoughts every day. I can't wait to take you up on your offer for a ride in the 150K vehicle...I'll definitely take you up on it. Perhaps we could use it to our advantage and make our way to the front of the line quicker at some souvlacki joint (oooooh, that would be bad).

medwant2b - You know, I was convinced I'd be celebrating too...perhaps not first round...but at some point during the summer. I'm definitely going to be reapplying next year...probably to Mac, McGill and Ottawa. My first choice will still be Ottawa, though...but I could easily see myself at Mac or back in La Belle Province...it's home to me...

Feathers McGraw - You make me blush...I don't remember you logging in as FM, but obviously you've been hanging around for a while. I think the adcoms will eventually learn who I am...maybe to my advantage...perhaps not...I guess it depends on what qualities they believe are required to forge the next generation of doctors...are they fools? I'm not so sure...I think they have a very difficult task and they do it the best that they can...at least, I like to believe that is true. I must admit, though, except for a few things at my interview...I really have, at this point in time, no idea of what I'd change for next year...I think I presented a very true version of myself...perhaps it isn't anything more than seeing I'm serious...I did get an interview...so they must see something interesting in me...

D - As mentioned other places above...I definitely will be applying to more than one school next year. I feel truly honoured and flattered that you wish your spot for me...now if 200 or so other candidates felt that way I might get a spot this year! Thanks for your kind thoughts...

UWOMED2005 - I really appreciate you saying that I'm an asset to this community. I have really enjoyed my time here and look forward to another year of fun, challenge and meeting new friends. Thanks for the vote of confidence for next year...introspection, practice and perfection will get me a spot in the next cycle. I don't give up so easily. It's been a real pleasure interacting with you...you too are an asset to this community and to the medical community at large.

Ian Wong - Last, but not least, Ian...Ian, I want to extend my sincere thanks for creating and maintaining this forum. Managing this forum is a giant task...you deserve some sort of award for supporting the pre-med, med school and residency communities. Ya, it really sucks that I won't be getting a spot this year...but next year is another year, isn't it. If people's desire to enter medical school ends after a single cycle...then the adcoms were probably right rejecting them. The field of medicine is one which requires huge devotion to the human condition...more than a year, that's for sure. Hey, I know it's probably unorthodox...but if you should require a moderator for some forum I would be more than happy to do so. Keep in touch.

Thanks again to everyone...I've taken up way too much space and time with this thread...I look forward to another great year.

Sincerely,

Peter Hill

Guest candybits

I'm pretty new to this forum, and I don't really know you very well, but I recall running into your posts from time to time.

It seems like you're getting lots of support from others here, and I guess what I have to say is pretty repetitive with what a lot of others have already wrote, but I just personally wanted to share something with you.

Before I received my acceptance letter from McGill about a month and a half ago, I was a complete wreck! I quit my job from a hospital in Toronto (I just about had it with so many unresolved issues with the management and their lack of respect for the allied health professionals; FYI, I was working as a physiotherapist up until now). In addition, my relationship with my fiance was getting shaky for many different reasons, my mom's cancer has relapsed, my aunt has recently passed away with the same type of cancer, and worst of all, around early April, I started getting rejection letters from all over in the U.S, some of them actually telling me that "(I) do not fit the average profile of the stellar candidates they accept." Yes, one school actually used that very phrase. I was getting these letters on a daily basis, and I received something like 15 in total telling me that I wasn't good enough. I started thinking about my chances with the Canadian schools and everything just started to look hopeless.

But the thing is, as cheesy as this may sound, I knew that studying medicine is the only thing that I wanted to do, and that I would eventually make an awesome doctor. I absolutely love working with patients while I was working in the hospital, and as very "un-glamorous" taking care of the sick can be sometimes, I even loved that part of the medicine. In turn, many patients and families often showed me their gratitude for what I've done for them, and that just made it all worthwhile. But then, there I was, receiving these rejection letters from schools telling me that I wasn't good enough. As much as I believed in myself, my confidence along with my goals and aspiration started to get very shaky and I totally lost it at one point.

I have so much respect for you for trying again next year. Not everybody would consider doing that unless they have the mentality of "I really want to do this" firmly embedded in their head. I just want to wish you all the best in the future, and one of these days, you'll just look back and think of it as a slight bend in your road towards your ultimate destination.

Good luck!

Guest Liana

To answer your question, Peter, I as well was rejected this year. Phony though it may sound, I'm already planning out a list of things that I would really like to do before I go to medical school - things that are a lot easier to do when you're not already tied down to a career path or direction.

Thanks for the thought-provoking and entertaining conversations this past year; it's been great to have easy access to such a supportive community. I look forward to interacting with all of you who reapply next year, as well as those of you've I've gotten to know this year who will be future moderators.

Guest UWOMED2005

Great plan! One of the things I've had the most trouble dealing with this year is the fact I'm locked into one career with seemingly few opportunities to do stuff other than meds until I retire.

And Liana, based on your posts I'm quite surprised you didn't get good news. . . I'm sure when you do reapply things will be different.

Archived