Premed 101 Forums

I clarified with the MCC via their online corresponence sytem and they assured me that you ARE penalized if you do more than the number they're looking for (not just 'killers'). For example, you WOULD be penalized if in the demo you had ordered a lipid panel for the patient with stable angina in addition to the stress test. I'm certain they don't consider a lipid panel a 'killer', but its that the only appropriate choice in that situation was the stress test. If you'd like to take your chances, go for it.

I know the document, I had a link to it in my original post. I was responding to thebouque and my intention is to clear up any misperceptions before people write the exam, so they don't try to hedge their bets by listing as many as 'allowed' when in fact they'll be penalized for it. Good luck.

which is what i had originally said...

Lol no it's not. I understand that you can't just check as many answers as you want even if the question doesn't specify a maximum number, justletmein did a great job at explaining how it works. I agree with what he's said. If the max is specified (for eg 6) you're safe as long as you don't exceed that number. If the max isn't specified, there's still a maximum number (Justletmein described how it works so I'm not going to explain it here). You and him are not really saying the same thing. You're saying that you get penalized if you check non killers even if you don't exceed the number. That's just not how it works. So yes, ''you ARE penalized if you do more than the number they're asking for'', I think that's a no brainer.

You should reread the document justletmein put up on the website, p.15 of the placenta previa case will clarify things for you, or understand it the way you want, the debate is over as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for the reposts.

Common guys, this isn't complicated. All this perceived confusion is freaking me out. We all are basicly MDs now... Just follow the simple instructions.

1) Follow the directions and don't click more options than asked or you fail. If it doesn't give an explicit limmit don't go crazy ordering everything. It has been suggested to keep your choices under 1/3 the total options if no explicit limmit is given.

2) Don't click stupid answers or you fail

3) Some answers are not stupid nor awesome, they are neutral. So clicking them does nothing. Just don't be a dumb and select more options than asked - see #1.

We all passed Verbal Reasoning all those eons ago. We all have the brains to figure this out.

With regards to the sections getting harder /easier, is that the point to increase peoples chances of passing? wouldn't technically having easier sections be favorable to passing? Just a thought

It's not to increase the chances of passing, it's meant to be able to assess the strength of the candidate better with fewer questions. So if you are bombing questions and get slightly easier questions and get all those correct, you get to pass when you might not have otherwise. But if you continue to bomb you won't pass. The other way around, if you have basic knowledge but guess well and get questions correct, you will get more difficult questions and get those wrong, showing that you are a decent but not stellar applicant as your answers to the baseline set of questions might have suggested.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I'm at a D.O school and I have to start worrying about when to take this exam. I heard its most similar to Usmle step 2 and most people chose to prepare for both concurrently. Can anyone who has written both exams confirm this?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I'm at a D.O school and I have to start worrying about when to take this exam. I heard its most similar to Usmle step 2 and most people chose to prepare for both concurrently. Can anyone who has written both exams confirm this?

Thanks

I've written both exams and yes, it is true. The style of questions is a little different, the Canadian questions tend to be more vague...but they both test the same knowledge/skill set.

I found USMLE Step2 CK easier than MCCQE Part 1 because, as mentioned above, the Canadian exam is designed to get more difficult with each subsequent block if you do well to the point where you'll be answering ~50% of questions correctly, whereas the US exam doesn't have graded difficulty.

Bottom line: best use of time would be to study for these exams concurrently and write them together.

I've written both exams and yes, it is true. The style of questions is a little different, the Canadian questions tend to be more vague...but they both test the same knowledge/skill set.

I found USMLE Step2 CK easier than MCCQE Part 1 because, as mentioned above, the Canadian exam is designed to get more difficult with each subsequent block if you do well to the point where you'll be answering ~50% of questions correctly, whereas the US exam doesn't have graded difficulty.

Bottom line: best use of time would be to study for these exams concurrently and write them together.

Hey thanks for your response. Do you remember which books or qbanks you used to prep for the cdn exam?

Hey thanks for your response. Do you remember which books or qbanks you used to prep for the cdn exam?

My med school notes, Toronto notes, and some free pdfs I found online including Kaplan's internal medicine and surgery review books and pre-test Q&A books. Of course looking at the sample questions available off the MCC website itself.

Don't get the "Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam" book (blue/purple cover) even though it has a stamp on the cover that says 'endorsed by CFMS' - Canadian Federation of Medical Students). The book is terrible, way too brief, and full of errors.

My med school notes, Toronto notes, and some free pdfs I found online including Kaplan's internal medicine and surgery review books and pre-test Q&A books. Of course looking at the sample questions available off the MCC website itself.

Don't get the "Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam" book (blue/purple cover) even though it has a stamp on the cover that says 'endorsed by CFMS' - Canadian Federation of Medical Students). The book is terrible, way too brief, and full of errors.

thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

Having also written both (back to back!), I would generally agree. The Step2 CK is easier to study for, easier to do well on, and more concrete if that makes any sense. In contrast, the MCC was vague and felt extremely tough. This might be a function of the adaptive testing but it wasnt an enjoyable experience. Still, if you are thinking of being efficient, it's a no brainer to do the two concurrently.

Don't sweat it. I've seen dumb - and I'm talking straight up DUMB - people pass the LMCC.

So what? I've seen intelligent people fail it.

It is a family medicine examination. Those individuals who have less exposure to family and medicine will have a harder time (typically surgically inclined students), not to say it is crazy hard as a surgical med student.

Even surgically inclined students went through many medical rotations so they should be fine. It is true that the exam relies on algorithms and guidelines. When I was cramming for it in April, I was just learning lists by heart. I wouldn't say it's a family medicine exam though.

Archived