Premed 101 Forums

T. Notes.

The strategy is based on the fact that IM, Surg, peds, psych, ob/gym and epi/health systems/ethics are all worth 1/6 of the exam.

What most people do is not study IM and Surg and concentrate on the other 4. IM and Surg probably make up 75% of T. Notes. If you study the 25% of the other 4, you cover 66% of the exam very quickly. Know those cold and a pass is no problem.

Your learning of IM and Surg during clerkship will serve you well. You can also review the grey boxes on the sides of the page for IM and Surg if you want a quick crash review of likely questions.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not 1000 pages if you use the strategy above. It's more like 500. T. Notes is your best bet for a book since it's written entirely for passing the MCCQE.

I have no idea if American books are any good since I also used the above strategy. They would have the wrong guidelines and units in them, I can say that for sure. I will say that I used first aid periodically during clerkship to supplement my studying to Toronto Notes for the american board exams. First Aid is much more superficial IMO.

There is no good question bank, as the american questions for the USMLE tend to have much longer stems then the MCCQE Pt 1. I know some people have used USMLE world in the past however, just to have a question bank to use.

im an american grad who has used first aide 2ck.Is that any good for this exam.I juts find reading 1000 pages of t.o just too overwhelming and boring.Whats a good question bank to use

There are, unfortunately, no good question banks for this exam.

You can use US ones, but they won't be representative

I studied using the "Case Files" books and reading in textbooks/uptodate on topics I felt were important. (aka key objectives on mccque website). I think TN is a good strategy for those who can do it/like it, but I found studying them way too boring and couldn't keep motivated/focused. I only used them for things like Obs-gyn, where it's super short, and ethics/law, where I didn't have another good ressource.

My strategy with Case Files, my favorite textbooks & uptodate, may have been a bit less efficient, but at least I stayed motivated and so got through the material. And I ended up doing well.

I used the practice exams by the MCCQE website (the paid ones) and found them helpful to get an idea of the style and also to identify my weaknesses/topics I needed to cover better.

Overall, my opinion is that you should study in a way that's at least somewhat enjoyable, partly because you'll spend so much time doing it, and partly because I think you'll learn better that way. Everyone learns differently and so there's no 1 strategy that works best for all. You just need to find what works for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There are, unfortunately, no good question banks for this exam.

You can use US ones, but they won't be representative

If somebody were to choose just 1 qbank from:

1.) uslme

2.) kaplan

3.) lmccexams

Which one would people say is the most similar to the LMCC?

USMLEworld is solid and 99% of it is full of really well-written questions that cover all the most high-yield topics, and have good explanations in the review that you can learn from as well. The only downside is that it is heavily weighted towards internal medicine just like the step 2, so you won't find many surgery,OB,peds,or psych questions on it.

Kaplan's question bank is terrible. If you have money to spend on more than 1 qbank, then you'll still learn things from it, but you have to be careful with their answers and explanations. If you could only get 1, avoid it like the plague because it is full of mistakes and incorrect information.

Haven't heard of lmccexams but if they're a new company then they probably have a lot of errors in their questions similar to Kaplan. Anyone know about them?

Just did the LMCCexams sample questions since I'm studying for my boards anyway, and already in their 'demo' questions there were lots of issues.

1. They give you a woman with hypertension and insomnia and ask which SSRI is not appropriate for her, then list meds that can both be activating (fluoxetine) and bad for HTN. (Multiple correct answers)

2. A story of people at a picnic with gastro without telling you what kind of food they ate, but you're supposed to read their minds to know they had meats (c. perfringens) and not potato salad (staph)?

3. Question saying right bundle branch is supplied by branches of the LAD even though that's the wrong answer.

4. Kid with a murmur needs endocarditis 'prophylaxis' for an ACTIVE infection. It's not prophylaxis if they have an infection.

5. Unconscious patient with the only info they give you is a resp rate of 7/min, but apparently he has metabolic acidosis and not respiratory acidosis.

6. A kid with altered mental status and a BP in the 170s which was supposed to be a hypertensive emergency requring nitroprusside and not a head CT as the first step. This is possibly true since it's a kid and peds isn't my strong point, but would definitely be wrong for an adult.

They were also all questions given with American units for lab values etc. So it doesn't seem geared towards Canadian exams.

• 2 weeks later...
for the cdm part, when they give you a list of answers and state "select up to...ie 6", does that mean you have to pick 6 or whatever # they tell you for the choices.Have u only find a few the the answer choices relevant, will u lose points.?

As you may know, there are several kinds of choices. Good choices, neutral choices and killers.

For eg they ask you to select up to 6 answers. Maybe they want you to pick only 3 right answers. If you choose those 3 good answers you'll have your full marks. If you choose the 3 right answers + 3 neutral answers (most of the time stuff like ions, complete blood counts etc), you'll have your full marks too. If you choose more than 6 answers you have 0 and if you fail to pick the 3 right answers you'll have part marks (2/3 if you pick 2 and 1/3 if you pick 1). Now it gets tricky if you pick a killer. No matter what else you've picked, if you choose a killer you get 0 on the question.

Peace

I studied using the "Case Files" books and reading in textbooks/uptodate on topics I felt were important. (aka key objectives on mccque website). I think TN is a good strategy for those who can do it/like it, but I found studying them way too boring and couldn't keep motivated/focused. I only used them for things like Obs-gyn, where it's super short, and ethics/law, where I didn't have another good ressource.

My strategy with Case Files, my favorite textbooks & uptodate, may have been a bit less efficient, but at least I stayed motivated and so got through the material. And I ended up doing well.

I used the practice exams by the MCCQE website (the paid ones) and found them helpful to get an idea of the style and also to identify my weaknesses/topics I needed to cover better.

Overall, my opinion is that you should study in a way that's at least somewhat enjoyable, partly because you'll spend so much time doing it, and partly because I think you'll learn better that way. Everyone learns differently and so there's no 1 strategy that works best for all. You just need to find what works for you.

Did you find the paid exams on MCCQE to be representative of the actual thing and helpful in doing well on the actual thing?

• 2 weeks later...

whats a killer?for those that have written it already this week, any feedback on the exam.Was it what u expected-harder, easier?

As you may know, there are several kinds of choices. Good choices, neutral choices and killers.

For eg they ask you to select up to 6 answers. Maybe they want you to pick only 3 right answers. If you choose those 3 good answers you'll have your full marks. If you choose the 3 right answers + 3 neutral answers (most of the time stuff like ions, complete blood counts etc), you'll have your full marks too. If you choose more than 6 answers you have 0 and if you fail to pick the 3 right answers you'll have part marks (2/3 if you pick 2 and 1/3 if you pick 1). Now it gets tricky if you pick a killer. No matter what else you've picked, if you choose a killer you get 0 on the question.

Peace

so if it says select up to 6, and we pick 6 items, 3 of which are correct and the other 3 are not killers, get part marks?

when it says choose up to 6, there are usually only 2-3 "right" answers, i.e. answers that will get you points.

You may have chosen some other non-essential labs for example, and while they dont get you points, they don't hurt you either.

So as long as you have picked the right answers within the 6 choices, without going over 6 choices, and no killers, you get full points.

I think the best strategy is to choose the maximum number of answers they allow, unless you are absolutely certain of the answers -- being careful not to choose things that would be contraindicated, unnecessary or dangerous to the patient.

wrong. on the instructions it clearly states you will be penalized for "over investigating".

http://www.mcc.ca/pdf/CDM_instructions_e.pdf

You're right and wrong at the same time.

This refers to the questions which state "choose as many as appropriate".

When they list 25 different labs, and only 4 of them are pertinent, they don't want people checking off 15 answers in the hopes of getting their points.

So in other words, even when there is no stated maximum number of answers, there is ALWAYS an unwritten maximum.

A good rule of thumb is to choose a MAX of 1/3 of the number of answer choices or less. So if there are 20 choices, the max is probably around 6 or 7 even if they don't explicitly say so.

To clarify, the scoring scheme of CDM questions usually looks like this:

Correct answer #1 --- 0.5 pts

Correct answer #2 --- 0.5 pts

More than 6 choices --- 0 pts

Any killer answer ---- 0 pts

So you can get 0.5 for one right answer, full points for both right answers and zero if you choose too many or choose a killer.

Hope that is clear.

Maybe read a little more closely or explain yourself before you go condradicting people.

Archived