Premed 101 Forums

Story

Guest JM

Hello everyone!

I have been following this forum since Jan, and I think it's a resource. Thank you everyone for your wonderful contributions.

Now I have been thinking about medicine this year. I have been involved in a lot of volunteer activities (hospital and many other, including intl) for the past 4 years that have really helped to clarify my goals and career aspirations. I just finished a degree in Economics and Psychology that I did part time while working at several financial institutions. I even did a 6 month internship in investment banking, but ultimatley realize that business and banking is not for me. The only thing that got me up in the morning was the excitement of volunteering after work and getting to come home and read scientific journals.

The problem with deciding to go into medicine is that my marks in the first 8 courses were brutal because of all the hours I was putting in at work. The remaining 12 courses were all A's but sadly the total GPA was only 2.85 by graduation.

Now what can I do to get into med school? Should I go back and do another bachelor's degree in the sciences. (I know I have the ability to do well).Should I do a Master's. Will they just laugh at my appication because of my poor marks?

Do med schools only consider years that you took 5 or more courses? This could possibly be a good thing since my first degree was entire part-time. Should I just take another year of first yr. sciences course try to meet the UWO cutoff in that year and write the MCAT?

Any advice, strategies, game plans would be really appreciated. I'm kinda lost but at least know what career I would like.

Thanks again you all are the best!!!!

Guest silvanabolano

Hello JM:

You could always register in an undergrad of your choice, taking courses that you know you will enjoy and you can do well on. Hopefully in some area in which you can work in case meds does not end up working out. Some schools would only look at your second undergrad. I know because my first undergrad was not the greatest and after completing 3 years of a second undergrad I got an acceptance. Good luck,

Silvana.

Guest aneliz

Hey JM,

Western will definitely offer you a chance to 'redeem' yourself. However, to be eligible to attend Western, you must attain their cut-off GPA in both your best AND your last year. Both of these years must be full-time years with five full or equivalent courses from Sept-April. In addition, you must also obtain all of their pre-req courses and Western has quite an extensive list! I would estimate that it would take at least two academic years to get the pre-reqs (and the pre-reqs for Western's pre-reqs). I gather from your post that you are coming from a non-science first degree. Given all of that, I personally think that you would be best to start into a science undergrad degree and do at least two years of it. You can check out all of the 'rules' and pre-reqs as they relate to Western on the UWO MD admissions info page. (There is a link to it on the top of the Western forum page.) You could also try calling and/or e-mailing the admissions office at UWO to find out specific details with regards to your situation. Good luck!

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Just wanted to note that it seems that the requirement for a full course load in your final undergraduate year has been removed. I have checked with admissions on this one and they have confirmed. As usual for peace of mind it is always a good idea to check out your own circumstances with admission.

Cheers,

Melissa

Archived