Premed 101 Forums

YorkU EC and RSCH opportunities.

PreMedAK

Im a bit new to this "gunning for the medical school" game, I was just wondering if someone can explain 1. What exactly constitutes or validates an EC for Medical school, in other terms what clubs/orgs/activities at university seem credible from the ADCOMS POV. 2. Are there readily available opportunities for me to do something of this nature at YorkU if I transfer over, i was applying for Chem since atleast in my mind it would make volunteering in labs or with the profs a little easier.

The chem department is terrible. I would pick something else if I were you.

There are a ton of profs at York, so I don't think you will have any difficulty finding research opportunities.

Valid EC's are ones that are verifiable and should ideally interest you. Doesn't really matter what you do, although I doubt volunteering at, say, TIFF or fashion week would be of any benefit.

Would you suggest biochem or biomed or even biology. Im trying to retake all the medschool pre-reqs that I got Cs in my first 2 years (sub par GPA), i think you commented on my earlier post so you might know my story.

Would you suggest biochem or biomed or even biology. Im trying to retake all the medschool pre-reqs that I got Cs in my first 2 years (sub par GPA), i think you commented on my earlier post so you might know my story.

well, any of those bio majors will get the med requirements- no doubt.

The Chem at york is quite tough and rigorous. The first year chem tests are out of 30 marks always which are consisting of 6 questions. The marking is brutal and every question is meant to trick you (you can read and do every question in the book but none of the test/exam questions ever from the textbook). P.S. Class avg is in the 30's always...

So I advice you to do something other than chem, unless that's what your good at then give it a shot ;)

The Chem at york is quite tough and rigorous. The first year chem tests are out of 30 marks always which are consisting of 6 questions. The marking is brutal and every question is meant to trick you (you can read and do every question in the book but none of the test/exam questions ever from the textbook). P.S. Class avg is in the 30's always...

So I advice you to do something other than chem, unless that's what your good at then give it a shot ;)

ya chem is definitely going to be a lot of effort

Archived