Premed 101 Forums

Switching majors

So which one would you choose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. So which one would you choose?

• Physiology + Pharmacology
    • Chemistry

Hey I am UWO Biomed First Year Student. Our intent to register is coming up and I have an idea that was wondering round-about empty rooms of my brain. 2 choices:

1. Stay in biomed and get a honours spec in physiology and pharmacology + minor in chemistry

2. Switch and get a honours spec in Chemistry + lets say minor in pharmacology

1.= Gonna get "Bachelor of Medical Science" on the diploma (just for kicks :)), prepares for med school better (does it?), way more interesting courses in 3rd/4th year, flexibility and variety of modules I can switch during 2nd year if I'd like, Aslo 3rd/4th year there are close relations with Schulich

2. = going to be very close with the faculty (there is like seriously 1:1 ratio), possibly slightly higher GPA, less competitive then biomed so less stress, I get to choose the topic of my thesis unlike in biomed, but if I choose it - no way back

I know it is my choice but I was just wondering about public opinion :)

Chemistry will not necessarily get you a better GPA. It's NOTHING like first year chem (which was a joke). Everyone I know in chem does well, but they are incredibly smart and work at least twice as hard as I did when I was in biomed. If they decided to do BMSc, I have no doubt they would do amazingly well. Can't say the same for most people in BMSc if they transferred to a chemistry degree.

Also, chemistry has a lot of critical thinking and math. If you aren't good at either of those things, no amount of work will save you in the upper year courses. Biomed, on the other hand, doesn't require all that much intelligence. Sure, the some questions involve critical thinking, but a lot of it is pure memory. If you put the work in, you will do well.

Chemistry will not necessarily get you a better GPA. It's NOTHING like first year chem (which was a joke). Everyone I know in chem does well, but they are incredibly smart and work at least twice as hard as I did when I was in biomed. If they decided to do BMSc, I have no doubt they would do amazingly well. Can't say the same for most people in BMSc if they transferred to a chemistry degree.

Also, chemistry has a lot of critical thinking and math. If you aren't good at either of those things, no amount of work will save you in the upper year courses. Biomed, on the other hand, doesn't require all that much intelligence. Sure, the some questions involve critical thinking, but a lot of it is pure memory. If you put the work in, you will do well.

I have no problems with math. What module did you do?

I have no problems with math. What module did you do?

I did biomed. I'm not saying you're bad at math or anything. Just that once you reach high level chem courses, there is a threshold of marks one can reach because of the level of critical thinking. Putting in more time won't necessarily help you get a 90. But in Biomed, the mark is almost always directly related to how much time you put in, so you know if you work hard you'll do well.

I did biomed. I'm not saying you're bad at math or anything. Just that once you reach high level chem courses, there is a threshold of marks one can reach because of the level of critical thinking. Putting in more time won't necessarily help you get a 90. But in Biomed, the mark is almost always directly related to how much time you put in, so you know if you work hard you'll do well.

Realistically, is it hard to get 90's? I almost got perfect in first semester chem (i know you said, it gets harder but by how much?). How hard is the math? I mean what concepts do you use?

Archived