Premed 101 Forums

Study elsewhere in Canada then come back to Quebec?

its probably easiest in your home province which im assuming quebec

the only thing that i would say thats difficult is if you want to have a french practice ie you want to communicate with your staff in french. but i could be wrong, not sure how U of montreal learns their dental stuff.

In order to practice (or even do a GPR) in Quebec you have to be able to be licenced as a dentist in QC which requires a certain competency in french (see: http://www.odq.qc.ca/Profession/OutsideQu%C3%A9bec/WorkingKnowledgeofFrench/tabid/383/language/en-US/Default.aspx )

So if you can pass their french test you can come back and work in quebec. If you are a QC resident then the QC schools will be way easier to get into (as compared to out of province canadian schools) unless you are a special case (like if you bombed your first couple years and aced your last couple)

• 2 weeks later...
It's really ironic that Quebec has 3 dental schools and Ontario has only two.. I thought the population was much larger in Ontario??

Don't forget that Quebec Universities accommodates for all French Canadians. There are no french dental programs anywhere else in North America. We might as well have at least 2 french dental programs since the other 8 Canadian dental programs are in english seeing as more than 25% of Canada's population consists of francophones (and by francophones I am not just referring to French people living in Quebec, but all over Canada). As for McGill, I believe that it is also good to have at least one english university in Quebec which offers Medicine and Dentistry.

Also keep in mind that Ontario has 6 medical schools whereas Quebec only has 4. In the end it all depends of the University. McMasters, Ottawa U and Queen's could open their own dental school if they wanted providing that they had the funds and that the motion was approved by their boards and councils.

Also, I don't think anyone in Quebec or Ontario should be complaining seeing as all of the other provinces have maximum one dental school if they have one at all. We're pretty lucky in that sense.

Don't forget that Quebec Universities accommodates for all French Canadians. There are no french dental programs anywhere else in North America. We might as well have at least 2 french dental programs since the other 8 Canadian dental programs are in english seeing as more than 25% of Canada's population consists of francophones (and by francophones I am not just referring to French people living in Quebec, but all over Canada). As for McGill, I believe that it is also good to have at least one english university in Quebec which offers Medicine and Dentistry.

Also keep in mind that Ontario has 6 medical schools whereas Quebec only has 4. In the end it all depends of the University. McMasters, Ottawa U and Queen's could open their own dental school if they wanted providing that they had the funds and that the motion was approved by their boards and councils.

Also, I don't think anyone in Quebec or Ontario should be complaining seeing as all of the other provinces have maximum one dental school if they have one at all. We're pretty lucky in that sense.

I wasn't complaining or saying it's unfair. But even those whose first language is French can learn in English-speaking schools whereas it's really hard for non-french speakers to learn everything in French.

I wasn't complaining or saying it's unfair. But even those whose first language is French can learn in English-speaking schools whereas it's really hard for non-french speakers to learn everything in French.

Well, I think McGill teaches you in English if I'm not mistaken, so really there are only 2 French-speaking dental schools in Quebec

We have 35(ish) at McGill

yeah that's what I'm saying.. you can't just compare by the number of schools, but instead compare by the number of enrolled students. I think same goes for the States, although there are a lot more schools in the states, only a few are canadian friendly and even those select only like 4 canadians.

Archived