Premed 101 Forums

YorkU Health management

PreMedAK

is it tough? I need to maintain 3.9GPA or above, i can easily get that at birdie uni UOIT (not trying to be rude), was thinking of transferring to Chem they offered Health Manage instead, dont want to take a change to hurt my GPA.

I commute from Mississauga, 4 hour commute to UOIT, premise behind transfer was to kill the commute and get in some ECs at YorkU which obviously i cant get at UOIT.

Help would be appreciated, from what i have heard on these forums Chem at York is retardly tough, so I was thinking BioMed and Bio for summer transfer, maybe psych or kin.

is it tough? I need to maintain 3.9GPA or above, i can easily get that at birdie uni UOIT (not trying to be rude), was thinking of transferring to Chem they offered Health Manage instead, dont want to take a change to hurt my GPA.

I commute from Mississauga, 4 hour commute to UOIT, premise behind transfer was to kill the commute and get in some ECs at YorkU which obviously i cant get at UOIT.

Help would be appreciated, from what i have heard on these forums Chem at York is retardly tough, so I was thinking BioMed and Bio for summer transfer, maybe psych or kin.

Before you choose any university, please verify whether your assumptions are true. Many highschool students are foolish enough to assume that some schools are easier or "birdie" just because their reputation isn't great as a whole. Remember, this isn't the US and the reputation of schools don't tell you how difficult it is. Look at every school's independent program, not a name of an entire school. FACT: Every school is hard, it depends on the program and the profs teaching the course.

As for your choice of UOIT, I do not personally go to UOIT and I've heard it's quite difficult there for sciences. Only a handful of students have entered a Canadian MD program based on a few articles that I read last year, so it just tells you that it's not easy. (look them up your self)

So choose a school you think you will do well in and a program that you like. If you enjoy the program and like what you learn, with effort the GPAwill follow. I hope this helps. P.S. I go to York, I see alot of students coming into 1st year assuming they will get a high GPA but tend to do terrible as they don't like the atmosphere (i don't blaime them) and because it's tough (A.K.A. Chem is brutal + ALOT of essay courses @ york = extremely brutal).

Yeah, I remember I worked really hard in my first year (no EC's, just school and partying), and I still got owned GPA-wise because my humanities essay course was killer, and because of that one course, I didn't have a high enough GPA for schools like Ottawa and most OOP's until after completion of my 4th year. I actually suggest that new students go with the BA versions of programs (where both BA and BSc are offered), as the BA option actually involves fewer essay courses. And then you can pick and choose which science courses you want to take. And you don't have to take a full year of math. Also you may want to consider taking those essay courses either in the summer, in case you don't do so well. I wish I had done that.

+1, I don't like essays at uni.

Archived