Premed 101 Forums

To Ian

Guest Thewonderer

Guest Thewonderer

This is getting ridiculous.... I don't want to clot up the other thread.

So you can collect a survey (the acceptance/waitlists/rejections thread) with the same form EXCEPT changing the name of the school and post it under EVERY school's section in this forum. And yet I canNOT do the same thing by posting a survey under UBC med and the premed general discussion section (albeit chaging one or two words like you did).

On top of that, you also have a link in every one of those above threads, linking it to pretty much the exact same form in the premed general discussion section. Yet I cannot do that.

What I did is the exact same thing as what you did.

Please explain this to me. Is it only because you are a moderator and this is YOUR and only YOUR forum?

My honest opinion is that your form is quite boring and the discussion is quite stale. There is nothing personal about it. It is all about I apply here and apply there, and I get this GPA and MCAT. In the end, one is better off just looking at the average GPA and MCAT of an entering school.

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey Thewonderer...what's up...either you are a troll (in which case...ok, I bite) or you really don't seem to get it.

I once posted inappropriately across several forums and Ian, as moderator, brought my post into line with the rules/netiquette of the forum. This is a moderated forum, afterall...and yes, Ian and the other moderators can pretty much do what they want...hence, moderated versus free-for-all....however, I find all the moderators, Ian included, are very fair and pretty much leave things alone unless they are way outside of scope, they are incredibly rude...etc. Ian didn't rip your post off entirely...he merely put it in and limited it to an appropriate thread...as he indicated...the one with the most traffic and the one that most, if not all, of the people in this forum would check out...

With respect to a boring forum...hmmmm...I guess you haven't surfed here much...I've personally gleaned incredible amounts of information here...received great feedback (both positive and negative)...which will inevitably help me gain acceptance to med school...kinda one of the several primary objectives of this forum...and best of all...met some amazing people...

If you don't like the forum perhaps there are others which would better serve your particular needs.

Peter

Guest Ska Band

PeterHill is right.

This fourm rocks. I get all my questions answered quickly and concisely. And THEWONDERER, don't worry about not getting your post seen, because it will!

Ian just put your post in the pre-med forum, since it's the one with the most traffic.

If you don't like this forum, leave. Simple as that!

He's a med student at an American school. Posted that here and on another message board. So you don't have to worry about him coming to annoy you guys at UWO. However, he does seem to be a tad (perhaps that is an understatement) too obsessed with complaining the intricacies of the admissions process, considering he is at least a couple of years removed from it. I'm not a fan of the admissions process either, but I guarantee you that I won't be spending my free time in med school arguing with people on some premed discussion board. :)

Guest Ian Wong

Your messages were completely redundant, and as a result I streamed them into the most appropriate forum. Each one of your messages in the individual med school forum essentially said: "My main post in the Premed forum isn't getting any replies, so I'm putting a duplicate message in the UWO/Toronto/McGill/etc forum so that you'll answer the EXACT same question that I've posted in the Premed forum, which is where the question should have been all along."

This is not kosher. There is nothing that makes a forum more disorganized than having people asking the same question on multiple forums, so that it becomes impossible to follow the thread, as other people respond to the same question in different forums.

Your question is a broad survey of all the med schools. Unlike your question, each of mine is relevant to a given med school. ie. Did you get accepted at U of T? If so, what sort of background profile do you have, and what is your first choice medical school.

That's the difference. Since the whole point of your survey doesn't involve each individual medical school, but rather is an attempt to assess if Canadians (and in particular British Columbians, which you seem rather obsessive about) generally apply only to one medical school, there is absolutely zero need for your message to be in more than one forum.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest BC guy

Ok, I am agoing to say it. It should be quite obvious to everyone why Ian does not want the survey so pointedly to be in UBC's forum (which is what happened originally) whether it is one from theWonderer or not.

However, Ian does have every right to control what goes onto the board since it is his.

Guest Horse

BC Guy,

You likely agree very strongly with thewonderer because of the way UBC treated you. I'm sorry about that. I know what it is like to make that kind of emotional investment. In truth, I was unhappy with the way UBC admissions treated me too, even though I will be going there.

His surveys were totally redundant and were a thinly veiled attempt to prove that UBC is so screwed up...

(ie. that people like you:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> GPA 4.0

MCAT very high

EC: tons

Most enjoyable: Clinical research

Special: many many awards <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

can still get denied.)

You're like thewonderer's "Golden Boy." What a perfect example of how terrible UBC is. However, creating multiple surveys to prove to *IAN* that UBC has problems will not help anything. I don't think thewonderer is going to use the info he obtains to create a helpful website, do you?

Yes, it may be Ian's forum.. but I don't think the reasons for not allowing redundant surveys are that crazy. I don't want another survey with similar questions pinned to the top of every forum either. In spite of what you and he might think, the questions aren't all that more exciting.

Guest BC guy

You might be someone's sidekick and try to score points at UBC med school but I do not see myself that way (and I definitely do not have to impress anyone from UBC), however you are entitled to your opinion. UBC is only attactive to me only because it is cheaper in tuition, but as a first choice of school I would have to say no. All things being equal, McGill would have been my first choice as I have said. Relax, you will have many more opportunities to defend and defend.

Guest Ian Wong

Sigh. BC Guy, look at the facts. The survey belongs in the General discussion forum because it asks a simple question that is globally applicable to medical schools. It's been placed there, and any reasons why the number of responses to it have been pitiful aren't due to the fact that no one's read it. EVERYONE has read it. It's in the biggest forum, and the one that everyone consistently reads.

It's just a very long and involved questionnaire that people have opted not to fill out.

If this was a valid attempt to suss out whether BC students apply only to UBC, then students from other provinces should be able to fill out this form too. Thewonderer originally placed this thread both in the General forum, and the UBC forum only. Now don't you think that sets up a rather biased survey SINCE YOU HAVE NO CONTROL SAMPLE?

Right, I thought so too. The thread in the UBC forum was then closed AND redirected to the main thread here. Then, he posted duplicate messages to every other med school forum, which I all deleted because they are redundant.

As it stands right now, I've done nothing to inhibit the survey. It's posted in the largest forum which gets the largest number of reads each day. Applicants to each medical school can respond to it, and you'll not only find out whether BC applicants apply only to UBC, but also whether Alberta applicants apply only to Alberta schools, Saskatchewan applicants to USask, and so on. In other words, the survey has been optimized by this action. The survey response has been miniscule and pathetic because people haven't wanted to supply that much information in one go.

That ain't my problem. I haven't stopped the thread. I do set the rules here, and duplicate threads usually get closed or deleted.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest BC guy

No criticism to you Ian, just an observation. However, I do take exception to Horse calling me anyone's sidekick.

I have no axe to grind as I am in already, BUT Horse does seem to want to score some brownie points with ____ and he wants it at my expense! (at least this is what it seems from here) His obervation is that I have the typical profile of rejected applicants from UBC. Have to give him credit for that one, probably got that right on:)

Guest confused

I don't understand why thewonderer would care about UBC admissions stats if he's already in med school in the states. It doesn't add up.

But I agree, it is a spicy soap opera! Keep it up!

Guest Thewonderer

Yo'all,

The original two threads were directed at two separate audiences.

The one under UBC forum has (or had, since Ian deleted it already) the words, "if you applied to UBC med this year" and "where else did you apply or did you apply ONLY to UBC med?"

The one under the general discussion has the words, "if you applid to medschools this past year" and just simply "where else did you apply?"

I followed the rules (as Ian exemplifies with his various surveys by changing one single word in all of his forms). And I did not put a link between those two threads myself (instead, Ian did). So don't put words into my mouth as though I had a conspiracy (that word seems to follow me, eh?) in linking them together initially. The general survey was not directed at UBC med and the UBC med survey was not directed at the general survey either. Instead someone else is too sensitive about such issue.

Ian was the one who decided to come in, changed the rule he established earlier and locked the UBC thread down and said, "No they are the SAME. And actually, forget the fact that I asked you a question about why did you put the same form under two different sections of the forum because even though you gave me a response, my answer is still no, they are the SAME. What reasons did you give me? Sorry I did not hear that. And while I am at it, I might as well delete one of those two threads."

And no, I don't have a side-kick. BC guy is his own man. But Ian does have quite a few of his own sidekicks.

Many of you are a little confused by what I have said thus far. In fact, I have not posted anything about UBC med admissions for a while already (maybe two posts on that subject in the last month and the only thing I brought up is that UBC med's admissions seemed to be more number-based or objective in 1996 compared to last couple years). Instead, much of the discussion has taken a life of its own after other people have gone through the process and see it for themselves. And now they are keeping that discussion going, not me. In fact, I have lots of knowledge about applicaton to US schools and have contributed some of that on this forum. So yo'all don't have to link my name to UBC med automatically.

Lastly, I am not frustrated or angry at UBC med admissions. I could care less! However, my posts were angry and frustrated at the people who responded them. The stout supporters who would not even admit that UBC med has absolutely no business giving advice to rejectees about becoming Olympic atheletes. The supporters even justify such action by saying that "well, you guys are just dumb for taking that olympic-athelete phrase literally. Come on, UBC med is just making some sort of mataphor. And never mind that you guys are not in exactly the best mood after rejection because you all just take things TOO seriously."

And similarly, Ian and his sidekicks, in real life, probably are not that arrogant. At least not arrogant enough for making such phrases as

"UBC is a pretty darn good med school... and if I were going through the process again, I would choose UBC over any other med school in North America, and I include US schools when making this statement" (i.e. that includes Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UCSF, etc. and assuming that individual made it into all those medschools)

"I'm also willing to put my clinical skills against ANY US grad at a similar level of education, and I'm quite sure that I can hold my own." (i.e. stand aside, ALL US grads....I am coming down that road)

However, in response to my "sarcastic" posts, maybe Ian and his supporters just, out of pure frustration, typed the above phrases into the other thread without thinking too much.

All these are emotions in reponse to the people they are arguing with, not necessarily about the admissions process itself or the relative merit of different med schools.

Guest Thewonderer

Hi Ian,

Since we are talking about rules....do you plan to unlock these two threads soon?

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=1&stop=20

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=1&stop=20

When is the last time you locked threads even though they don't contain profanity? Why lock the above threads?

And what is a thread? A thread simply means that a continuity exists between its various parts (in our case, various posts). So why did you close off those two threads? As far as I can tell, one post leads to another on those two threads so why can't you let them run their course? What was the reason that you decided to come in and just said "chop chop, these threads have to end since they have no relevancy to the original topic." But who defines that all threads have to be circular in the sense that a thread has to come back to the exact original, starting point (as described by the subject title)? If each post leads to the next without a problem and people are ACTIVELY discussing each post, then why can't we let those threads take their courses? Isn't that what a thread supposed to be? Isn't that what a discussion is?

Ultimately, as many people have said that this is your forum and you are totally free to do whatever you want. But I am simply curious. Is there any consistency in how you moderate? You don't have to of course, but I want to at least hear your theory.

Guest Ian Wong

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> However, in response to my "sarcastic" posts, maybe Ian and his supporters just, out of pure frustration, typed the above phrases into the other thread without thinking too much. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->Don't flatter yourself. You're not nearly as important to me as you think. I think this particular thread has run its course. Your survey will either work, or it won't, but I haven't done anything to influence that.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived