Chances at U of A?

Hi guys! Just another "what are my chances?" thread:

I am a 3rd year IP student applying to U of A. My stats:

RC: 25 - 99%

AA: 22 - 95%

PAT: 21 - 83%

MDT: 25 - 93%

GPA: 3.75 - a bit low :(

Given my current stats, what would the likelihood of getting an interview be? Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I'll definitely be gunning to bring up my gpa this coming term.

In regards to the interview, has anyone heard anything about the similarities between the dent and med interviews in terms of the questions they ask? I know this is the first year in which U of A is using the MMI format for their interviews so there is likely not that much info out there, but I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I believe USask also uses MMI for their dent interviews. Would anyone who has done the USask dent interview there care to share their experiences? That would be awesome!

I'm wondering the same thing as NEIM regarding the sorts of questions they'll ask for the MMI. I've heard they will still ask CDA type questions, it's simply in the MMI format, but this is just a rumbling amongst potential interviewees. Any info (perhaps with a little more validity!) would be greatly appreciated!

And those who have interviewed at USask, please enlighten us!

I highly doubt that they will be asking strictly CDA style questions in the MMI-doesnt make sense. They would have just stuck to the CDA style. Dont get me wrong there may be a couple situational based questions but there may also be questions about public vs private health care. etc (normal MMI questions).

I dont think anyone really knows but I could hazard a guess that it would be very similar to the med interviews

They will definitely not have CDA format questions. The whole point of switching to MMI was for the school to generate their own unique questions. They wanted to do this because students could just interview at UBC, memorize and develop answers to those questions, then do the UofA interview.

They will definitely not have CDA format questions. The whole point of switching to MMI was for the school to generate their own unique questions. They wanted to do this because students could just interview at UBC, memorize and develop answers to those questions, then do the UofA interview.

why though? do UBC and UofA use the same interview question?

why though? do UBC and UofA use the same interview question?

In the past, there were overlaps and some questions that were asked at UBC were also asked at UofA. This is because the CDA gives each school a set of questions from their super ultimate CDA pool of interview questions. This also happens with other schools that use CDA format interviews. Like it wouldn't be surprising if you get the same question you got at UBC at UWO or UofT.

I spoke to one of the admins who said that UofA decided to change because they didn't like how some students would come prepared for the questions and just spew out a memorized answer. It just didn't give the school an accurate idea of who the candidate really was.

In the past, there were overlaps and some questions that were asked at UBC were also asked at UofA. This is because the CDA gives each school a set of questions from their super ultimate CDA pool of interview questions. This also happens with other schools that use CDA format interviews. Like it wouldn't be surprising if you get the same question you got at UBC at UWO or UofT.

I spoke to one of the admins who said that UofA decided to change because they didn't like how some students would come prepared for the questions and just spew out a memorized answer. It just didn't give the school an accurate idea of who the candidate really was.

so maybe other schools will also start changing it to MMI in few years:(

I've been preparing for the MMI interview with a large group of med school interviewees, and I realize situations where they stick you in as a physician wouldn't be applicable to the dent MMI, but do you guys think this is the safest route to take in terms of interview prep for this cycle? I don't want to spend all this time preparing only to get stuck with a bunch of "tell us about a time in your life when..." Sort of questions. I guess I could apply typical MMI question tactics to answer those but it would be far from a great answer... What do you guys think?

Archived