Premed 101 Forums

IMS Summer Research

zainy1993

I want to apply for Summer Research in the Insitiute or Medical sciences but on there site it says I need a minimum GPA of 3.3 to apply. So far from first semester courses, I have a cGPA of 3.1. This isn't including my sociology course since is a full year course (1 FCE), but I'm getting 85 so I'm guessing it won't count in my cGPA when i apply. The deadline is Feb 21 but it says that the min. req is a cGPA of 3.3 which I don't have. I know Ill be able to get cGPA of 3.3+ after second semester but will that be too late? They said that they start interviews around March, but my second semester marks won't be posted on ROSi that early. Does this mean I can't apply for the research position.

Are there any research oppurtunities to which I can apply to which don't require me to submit my transcripts or they have low cutoffs? Thanks.

These summer research jobs are very GPA focused.

Last summer when I was interviewed for a position in Toronto, my supervisor explicitly told me that she interviewed me just because I had a high GPA (>3.8 at least) and unfortunately she has to reject individuals with not a high-enough GPA just because it's hard to get those scholarships.

It's also because my supervisor was low in funding so she really wanted someone who could land a grant.

But, if you find someone who's got loads of research funding to give out to students, they won't care as long as you seem motivated.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a research job in the summer. It's still possible, you just need to do a little bit more work of sending out your C.V. and transcript to lots of supervisors.

I want to apply for Summer Research in the Insitiute or Medical sciences but on there site it says I need a minimum GPA of 3.3 to apply. So far from first semester courses, I have a cGPA of 3.1. This isn't including my sociology course since is a full year course (1 FCE), but I'm getting 85 so I'm guessing it won't count in my cGPA when i apply. The deadline is Feb 21 but it says that the min. req is a cGPA of 3.3 which I don't have. I know Ill be able to get cGPA of 3.3+ after second semester but will that be too late? They said that they start interviews around March, but my second semester marks won't be posted on ROSi that early. Does this mean I can't apply for the research position.

Are there any research oppurtunities to which I can apply to which don't require me to submit my transcripts or they have low cutoffs? Thanks.

Hey, did you take Psy100? If you did, then apply for Psy299 summer. They have very low GPA cutoff. Essentially it's better than volunteering at a lab, since you get an individual project rather than doing someone else's scut work.

Regarding your marks not appearing on ROSI, not to worry. The profs will ask that you list out your current scores in your courses unofficially.

If you have a 4.0 GPA, then just apply during 1st year, find a supervisor who will accept you in the summer (most supervisors want students who are in 2nd year just because they have more exposure to lab research, BUT there are other supervisors who accept even high schools just for the sake of it)

Hey, did you take Psy100? If you did, then apply for Psy299 summer. They have very low GPA cutoff. Essentially it's better than volunteering at a lab, since you get an individual project rather than doing someone else's scut work.

Regarding your marks not appearing on ROSI, not to worry. The profs will ask that you list out your current scores in your courses unofficially.

Thanks, Ill try that. But I don't think PSY299 is this summer is it? Because next year ill be in a diff uni so i won't be able to do PSY299 in the summer of 2013.

These summer research jobs are very GPA focused.

Last summer when I was interviewed for a position in Toronto, my supervisor explicitly told me that she interviewed me just because I had a high GPA (>3.8 at least) and unfortunately she has to reject individuals with not a high-enough GPA just because it's hard to get those scholarships.

It's also because my supervisor was low in funding so she really wanted someone who could land a grant.

But, if you find someone who's got loads of research funding to give out to students, they won't care as long as you seem motivated.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a research job in the summer. It's still possible, you just need to do a little bit more work of sending out your C.V. and transcript to lots of supervisors.

if you have a high enough GPA, do you need to go around looking for research funding (eg. from school) to get hired? Or does the researcher help you look for fundings?

Archived