Premed 101 Forums

Taking mcat in Summer and Applying

bored

Hi,

Im applying to American schools this summer and have an mcat of 28R. My GPA is 3.7 should be around 3.7 by omsas conversions by the end of the year. Its higher by Amcas conversions.

I want to retake the MCAT during the summer, but am unsure when I should do it. I know American schools are rolling admissions and we have to apply early because applications are assessed as they come in. AMCAS Opens up in early June,

So my question is, If I take the MCAT in July, does that mean that I will have to will until August until I can send in my AMCAS applications?

Can I apply and let them know that Ill rewrite and send in my mcat mark when they come??

How is the MCAT’s “submit to schools” process? Is it fast or slow?

Also, How many reference letters do we need for the Amcas application? Omsas is 3. But I have heard that we need 5 for Amcas. Can someone elaborate?

Thanks a lot

You can apply as early as you want. You indicate on your app that a future MCAT score is expected. It is a risky proposition to submit w/o knowing your score. If it doesn't significantly improve (ie. 5+ pnts), you would've wasted your time on the primary, the money on applying, and haggling for ref letters.

IMO, do the MCAT before applying to make sure you apply with a competitive score.

I’ve gone through this year’s application cycle so I’ll do my best to answer your questions. You can start and submit your AMCAS application when it opens in June. By that I mean you can complete your essay and extracurriculars and forward them your transcripts for verification. You then choose which schools you want and then submit to AMCAS. I believe there is the option to indicate that you will be writing the mcat again so that when your mcat comes out it will be automatically sent to all the schools you applied to. The schools will not assess your application until you have your updated mcat score along with your completed secondary. So if you write in July you will have to wait until August before the schools will assess your application. You can do most of the heavy lifting before that time (verification of grades takes 4-6 weeks). I don’t think August is that late for American schools, so you should be alright on that front. The MCAT submit to school’s process is fairly speedy so that shouldn’t be much of an issue. I believe that’s how the process works but if I’ve made a mistake anywhere please correct me.

Hi,

Im applying to American schools this summer and have an mcat of 28R. My GPA is 3.7 should be around 3.7 by omsas conversions by the end of the year. Its higher by Amcas conversions.

I want to retake the MCAT during the summer, but am unsure when I should do it. I know American schools are rolling admissions and we have to apply early because applications are assessed as they come in. AMCAS Opens up in early June,

So my question is, If I take the MCAT in July, does that mean that I will have to will until August until I can send in my AMCAS applications?

Can I apply and let them know that Ill rewrite and send in my mcat mark when they come??

How is the MCAT’s “submit to schools” process? Is it fast or slow?

Also, How many reference letters do we need for the Amcas application? Omsas is 3. But I have heard that we need 5 for Amcas. Can someone elaborate?

Thanks a lot

Archived