Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Ordeal

NeuroBurgers

Hi. I've got myself in a peculiar situation.

About a week ago, I had sent off about 15 e-mails to U Ottawa professors, inquiring if they were interested in applying for NSERC USRA with me.

2 professors are willing to apply with me. Now, NSERC allows you to apply with more than one professor. I will point out that I am really interested in the work of one of the professors, and not so much the other.

Am I more likely to be granted a scholarship if I apply with the one (preferred) professor vs. applying with both?

If I apply with both professors, how would the university grant the scholarship to one professor over the other, given that they are both in the same department?

I apologize if this all sounds a little convoluted

Hi. I've got myself in a peculiar situation.

About a week ago, I had sent off about 15 e-mails to U Ottawa professors, inquiring if they were interested in applying for NSERC USRA with me.

2 professors are willing to apply with me. Now, NSERC allows you to apply with more than one professor. I will point out that I am really interested in the work of one of the professors, and not so much the other.

Am I more likely to be granted a scholarship if I apply with the one (preferred) professor vs. applying with both?

If I apply with both professors, how would the university grant the scholarship to one professor over the other, given that they are both in the same department?

I apologize if this all sounds a little convoluted

Hi NeuroBurgers,

You must contact the department and ask how they distribute NSERC grants. I am assuming that you have not informed each professor that you are applying with another. I am quite certain that once the application deadline is complete, the administrative individuals responsible for giving NSERC will immediately find out about the fact that you have applied with two professors in the SAME department! This, after speaking with my NSERC officer, will put you at risk of getting an USRA (at least at my university anyways). Alternatively, what you COULD do is apply only with the professor that you prefer, and apply with professors in a different department or faculty. (Don't do the same department - very risky).

In essence, from my research, you are more likely to get a grant if you apply with the preferred professor, especially since the other professor is in the same department!

Hope that helps,

Tesla

I was in this exact situation two summers ago. Go with your preferred professor and tell the other one you can't apply with him/her anymore. There are other students wanting a NSERC scholarship so let them have their shot at it!

Like Tesla said, don't apply with two profs in the same department.

Best of luck!

Ah wow, thanks for the info guys! I will definitely have to opt out of one of the professors. I feel terrible because I had been speaking with the less preferred professor on a daily basis - discussing possible projects and what not. Not sure how I am going to break it to him. I guess I'll just have to be honest and let him know the deal.

For some reason, uOttawa is quite disorganized with regards to their NSERC USRA information. There is no webpage/online resource outlining any application details/deadlines for their school. I even called a few of their offices, and they kept forwarding me to someone else who had no information on the NSERC details. Anyone with USRA info from uOttawa?!

Note; I am also not a uOttawa student. I attend a Quebec university, but spend summers in Ottawa. Does anyone think it'll effect my chances of being granted the USRA?

Sorry for all the questions!

• 1 year later...

Archived