Premed 101 Forums

Non-specific Cover letter?

Soap.Bar

Hi everyone,

I need to write a cover letter for a research application but I'm wondering how I should start this off. Normally I would make sure to write something like, "Dear Dr. Doe," then start writing about my objectives, qualities that make me ideal as a research assistant, etc... But how do I write a GENERAL cover letter for many researchers to look at and consider me for a position?

Also, should I try to restrict my cover letter to about a page length like a resume?

Thank you for your help!

My advice (as a former career counselor and having a say in hiring people to work in research) not knowing a lot about your specific situation...

Keep the cover letter short, about half a page. I say write four little paragraphs: who you are, who you think they are, why you would work well with them and how to get in touch. Use punchy, active language.

Try to be specific about what you know about the research program. In my experience, profs get a lot of generic looking coverletter/resumes around this time with students looking for summer jobs. One easy way to decide who to bring in for an interview is to take only people who show knowledge of the specific lab/program. Writing a little bit about what you know about the lab will show dedication and interest.

I have heard that one targeted resume will get you as many interviews as ten generic resumes. I don't have a reference for that and I would guess it applies even more so for coverletters, but that is just my guess... so much for trying to be more evidence-based.

Ah, my problem here is that I'm applying for a program where they have all the applicants' files online and the researchers are free to search for an assistant after looking through the list.

I'm just unsure as to how I should address the reader when I do not have a specific 'target' to address.

Archived