Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Hospital Research Institute

cogniva

Yeah -what so you want to know? The oHRI has labs at multiple campuses so it's hard to comment. The lab I work at is beautiful and I have access to pretty much any resource I could want. If yo are looking for summer research positions they have a program where you present what your are working on to the other summer student s with prizes awarded at the end. Does that help?

Well I'm interested in doing research there this summer- my PI wants me to volunteer instead of applying for a student grant because she said the OHRI requires her to pay me at a rate higher than what the grant covers. I'm kind of confused because the grant is a fair amount- i don't see why she couldn't just pay me until the grant ran out..

The only reason I could think of was that the OHRI requires a certain number of hours from summer students or requires them to be paid a certain amount overall? Do you know if that's the case? Hopefully this was clear, thanks for your replies.

Well I'm interested in doing research there this summer- my PI wants me to volunteer instead of applying for a student grant because she said the OHRI requires her to pay me at a rate higher than what the grant covers. I'm kind of confused because the grant is a fair amount- i don't see why she couldn't just pay me until the grant ran out..

The only reason I could think of was that the OHRI requires a certain number of hours from summer students or requires them to be paid a certain amount overall? Do you know if that's the case? Hopefully this was clear, thanks for your replies.

If you really feel it is worth it to volunteer all summer than go for it. I volunteered all last summer in two labs ( well I got paid $1000 in one lab.. but I was doing 20hrs of work/week for four months (basically covered travel and lunch.. lol, .. so my Prof. is stating it as volunteer work for my app.). All in all i think it was worth it, I get a job that pays 6000 this summer (+ i am applying for NSERC so I can get even more on top of that if my application is accepted... ). I get opportunities to published.. all in all I felt it was worth it for me. Now, my lab work was not clinical or hospital.. or medically related for that matter, but I think that the transferable skills I learned through this experience will last with me forever..

The problem is that if your PI gets the grant.. most of the time he/she would be required to pay 25% on top of the value of the grant to you. And perhaps he/she does not feel that it is worth it for them. Money is tight these days.

If you really feel it is worth it to volunteer all summer than go for it. I volunteered all last summer in two labs ( well I got paid $1000 in one lab.. but I was doing 20hrs of work/week for four months (basically covered travel and lunch.. lol' date=' .. so my Prof. is stating it as volunteer work for my app.). All in all i think it was worth it, I get a job that pays 6000 this summer (+ i am applying for NSERC so I can get even more on top of that if my application is accepted... ). I get opportunities to published.. all in all I felt it was worth it for me. Now, my lab work was not clinical or hospital.. or medically related for that matter, but I think that the transferable skills I learned through this experience will last with me forever..

The problem is that if your PI gets the grant.. most of the time [b']he/she would be required to pay 25% on top of the value of the grant to you[/b]. And perhaps he/she does not feel that it is worth it for them. Money is tight these days.

Thanks for the replies! That's what I don't understand though- why would they be required to pay money on top of the grant? Why can't they just pay that exact amount?

Thanks for the replies! That's what I don't understand though- why would they be required to pay money on top of the grant? Why can't they just pay that exact amount?

So that you get a fair wage and are not completely getting taken advantage of.

The lab will benefit from your work, but not all researchers will have enough $ in their grants to pay for students. In order to encourage labs to take students to provide experience then grants like those are created.

Consider that by not applying for a grant, then you miss out on an opportunity to get an award (I am assuming the award is merit-based and you must realize this will look good on your CV if you get it) and also to get paid for your work. Do you really think your work has no value?

If this particular lab has no funding for you, then I would suggest to you to find another lab that does and apply for the grant. If that doesn't work out, then by all means work for free for someone if you can see the benefit in that.

Archived