Premed 101 Forums

Be a doctor..or be a mother?

@hanet

Omg!!! Elliot Reid (Sarah Chalke) is my hero!!! Jealous you thought of the pic!!!

... sorry did not mean to ignore or be insensitive to the big issue at hand, it just made me smile a lot seeing it

Oh, thanks! It's the only avatar I use now, because it's easier to pick out my posts on various sites. Elliot Reid is my hero, too! :)

(p.s., Congrats on your Calgary interview! I applied there but didn't get an interview. U of C is the school I am really gunning for -- I like their program and their philosophy. Good luck with your MMI!)

I think it's great that you are thinking about the realities of medicine at your stage. I see so many residents and staff around me that work so hard in their careers and suddenly find that their best fertility years are behind them (that will probably be me in a few years).

The truth is that there is never a good time to have a baby. That's true whether you are in medicine or not. You just have to make it your priority. I have seen women have children in medical school, in residency, and of course, as a staff. And all of them have made it work. The reality is that when the time is right for you with respect to your personal life (ie. mature enough to have a child, want to have a child, and found the right guy), then you need to make sacrifices in your career to put your family first. Otherwise, you keep waiting until you're done medical school, done residency, done fellowship...whatever it is until it's too late. The "best" time from a career perspective is probably in residency (you get maternity leave and you're already in your residency program of choice, and you don't have the pressure of being a staff, and most people tend to be in their late 20s), but the real best time is what's right for you.

Archived